E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replacing pads & rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Good afternoon,

Well, our 2004 525, finally had some problems. About $3,600 later ($1,540 = labor), our AC blows so cold (ambient sensor & compressor), I have it on like notch #3 (of maybe 10) in Dallas, TX heat, and more importantly- it starts now (starter motor).

The remaining problem, there's a slight shimmy in the wheel (that's not so "slight" now, since we had the brakes inspected). Worse- I could have sworn I heard the back brakes squeal the other day. Now, the mechanic I took it to, says my pads are good, but I need new rotors in the front to reduce/eliminate the shimmy. I've had that happen on another car, and I'm pretty sure his diagnosis is accurate. What I don't like it the price.

The local Meineke shop was running a sale (50% off pads & rotors), but when I called to inquire, they told me that 50% off doesn't apply to BMW, MB, or Audi (figures). Further, he told me to expect to pay $1,000 per axle to get brakes (OEM) on all four corners.

For you guys who have had your bimmer's long enough to need brakes, is it really this expensive? $2,000 to replace pads & rotors?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

That's outrageous . I sell Hawk Pads for $175 for front and rear and rotors for $340 front and rear. That's $515. Labor you're looking at 1-2 hrs if they know what they're doing.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 2001 325i

I just purchased my front brake rotors from topbrakes and i spent less than 300 bucks and brake pads around 90 bucks and 2 sensors 20 a piece. Its really not a difficult job i did it on my e46 m3 just like acuteperformance said in about an hour per tire that includes my brake bleed so i will suggest you do some shopping around maybe you can have a mechanic thats not from maineke work on your brakes. I hope this helps BTW my car is a 2004 545i i think the brakes for the 525 were less expensive

Luis
Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Find a qualified independent who knows and works on BMW's! The price for aftermarket parts varies widely and if you supply them (mechanic willing) the only problem that might arise is if you show up with the wrong parts!! Most indies may mark-up parts prices a bit but nothing like the "stealers" do. Shop time, for an experienced BMW indy to R&R brakes and rotors/sensor should be less than 2.5 hrs an axle. While you're in there, if your brake fluid hasn't been flushed in 2-3 years it'll take less than 1/2 hour to get that done too.

STAY AWAY FROM THE MASS MERCHANDISE STORES Like Sears, Meineke, and Jiffy Lube !!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
That's outrageous . I sell Hawk Pads for $175 for front and rear and rotors for $340 front and rear. That's $515. Labor you're looking at 1-2 hrs if they know what they're doing.

Michael
Acute Performance

Go with Michael's deal Seriously, you can do this in your garage in about an hour (well, ok, I could) and save yourself $1500. Hate to be so blunt, but anyone who pays $2k for a brake job is a sucker or a shithead :thumbsdown:
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

This is an extremely easy job! You could do it your self for sure if you have some basic tools...If you lived around me, I would help you do it!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Dude, I know y'all like to go big out there in Texas, but consider this: I had ALL four corners rotors and pads, plus the OEM sensors purchased and replaced for under a grand. In retrospect, I probably should have gone an extra couple of hundred and gotten the R1 concepts rotors instead of the Centric Premiums that I got, but regardless, the setup works just great and there's so much less brake dust! As for the brake fade - let me just put it this way: I've taken the car to summits of Mt. Washington and Cadillac Mountain just this past weeks and there was NO FADE AT ALL. None. Nada. Zero.

So save yourself some money and get better brakes, brother
Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by bighersh
Good afternoon,

Well, our 2004 525, finally had some problems. About $3,600 later ($1,540 = labor), our AC blows so cold (ambient sensor & compressor), I have it on like notch #3 (of maybe 10) in Dallas, TX heat, and more importantly- it starts now (starter motor).

The remaining problem, there's a slight shimmy in the wheel (that's not so "slight" now, since we had the brakes inspected). Worse- I could have sworn I heard the back brakes squeal the other day. Now, the mechanic I took it to, says my pads are good, but I need new rotors in the front to reduce/eliminate the shimmy. I've had that happen on another car, and I'm pretty sure his diagnosis is accurate. What I don't like it the price.

The local Meineke shop was running a sale (50% off pads & rotors), but when I called to inquire, they told me that 50% off doesn't apply to BMW, MB, or Audi (figures). Further, he told me to expect to pay $1,000 per axle to get brakes (OEM) on all four corners.

For you guys who have had your bimmer's long enough to need brakes, is it really this expensive? $2,000 to replace pads & rotors?

I did my rear brakes and rotors in under 1.5 hours....and I had never changed brakes in my life. There is a great step by step (with pics) diy on this forum. If i remember correctly, 600 dollars for parts. $0 for labor trust me you can do it. Also, I would change brakes and rotors not just the rotors. Good luck
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Senior Members

Easy job!

I've changed the front pads & rotors in less than 1.5 hours.

The rear was easy as well..

Do it yourself!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Thanks you all-

Yep, I definitely won't be going to Meineke. I've never done brakes before, but if it's that simple, maybe I'll try it. I found a mechanic yesterday that told me if I buy the parts, he'll put them on for me, for $100. A fellow member IM'd me, and I looked on line and found some really good deals, some as low as $65/rotor- but the average seemed to be $114/rotor. I also want to go with ceramic pads, so I can get away from that black brake dust...

Quick Reply: Replacing pads & rotors