E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replacing e60 headlight lens

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i in the mod process, I love my baby

I have a pair of Xenon headlights lens on my e60 that need replacing. I bought a pair of "look-a-like" headlights that are non Xenon. Does anyone know how i go about changing the lens from my new headlight (fake bmw headlights) and swapping them with the beat up Xenon headlight lens? My ultimate goal is to keep my original headlights but have new clear lenses. Please help or if anyone knows of a body shop around my area that does this let me know..I live in Paramount, Ca........... Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

this will not be worth doing in my mind. In order to do what you want to do you have to cut out both lenses and then glue on the new lens. The headlight assemblies are one unit. Not to say that its not doable, but if you are going through the trouble I would also suggest you look into doing the orion angel eyes as well since you will have it apart. Do a search for the install instructions for the orion AE's, those instructions will show you how to remove the headlight lens.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by josecebreros
I have a pair of Xenon headlights lens on my e60 that need replacing. I bought a pair of "look-a-like" headlights that are non Xenon. Does anyone know how i go about changing the lens from my new headlight (fake bmw headlights) and swapping them with the beat up Xenon headlight lens? My ultimate goal is to keep my original headlights but have new clear lenses. Please help or if anyone knows of a body shop around my area that does this let me know..I live in Paramount, Ca........... Thanks
The adaptive set up for the stock xenons's are pretty involved - mechanically and electrically. I don't think this is going to work out easily for you but I'll let more experienced guys like Bruce weigh in on a reply.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by luigi524td
The adaptive set up for the stock xenons's are pretty involved - mechanically and electrically. I don't think this is going to work out easily for you but I'll let more experienced guys like Bruce weigh in on a reply.
I don't think that's what he's referring to.

OP: can you post pictures of this look-alike headlights that you speak of? I have never heard of someone referring to headlights as look-alikes, lol.

With that said, the E60 headlights are one piece, and if you intend to move forward with this, you would need to cut open the headlights with pretty damn good precision in order for the two piece to match up for reseal. Like cleung said, if you do end up doing this, you might as well do the Orion mod while you're at it.

Here's the thing though, how bad are your original headlights? Have you tried just restoring it via wet sanding and other methods? This seems to be a drastic measure in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i in the mod process, I love my baby

lol, i guess i need to post pictures.... what i meant by look a like is that I bought a pair oh e60 lights that are non xenon adaptive basically a knock off. they look the same as my original adaptive xenon headlights my car came with and they fit perfectly i bought them from bavauto.com .. And yes the lenses on my original are basically no good... The wet sanding was applied but they were so damaged that it didn't work. I had two options either buy original replacements which are expensive or knockoffs but I figured why not take the new lenses and place them on my original headlights.....But i did check out those orion AE's those are crazy looking i wanna 'em but i would still like to know how to take off the lense lol...ive seen it done before so come on guys help me put lol..
Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Are the lenses actually cracked? I would question how well the wet sanding was done - this process can fix some seriously bad lenses.

I did it on my 13 year old mini van lights that you couldn't see the bulb through. Now they look like new headlights.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Replacing e60 headlight lens-2010_0101_160227aa.jpg
First, you need a tool to separate the clear and black shells of the headlight housing assembly.
A Dremel Multi-Max or equivalent cheap Harbor Freight Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool will do the job.

Replacing e60 headlight lens-e60_img_0127.jpg

Use Plastic welder (available in Harbor Freight) and/or polyurethane glue to join parts together.
Look here.Good luck .

lol, i guess i need to post pictures.... what i meant by look a like is that I bought a pair oh e60 lights that are non xenon adaptive basically a knock off. they look the same as my original adaptive xenon headlights my car came with and they fit perfectly i bought them from bavauto.com .. And yes the lenses on my original are basically no good... The wet sanding was applied but they were so damaged that it didn't work. I had two options either buy original replacements which are expensive or knockoffs but I figured why not take the new lenses and place them on my original headlights.....But i did check out those orion AE's those are crazy looking i wanna 'em but i would still like to know how to take off the lense lol...ive seen it done before so come on guys help me put lol..
The following users liked this post:
jstenzman (02-15-2020)
Old 05-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

ive seen it done before so come on guys help me put lol..
Yeah... I am not sure where you have seen it done before, but these headlights require being gut open literally. So you really will have to brave the process if this is really how you want to replace the lens.

As I said earlier, if you do cut them open, you'll probably want to draw identical outline on the headlights to ensure they'll line up properly.

Lastly, I would like to add that the outline I cut open is not the same as Rizbel's last picture.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Wet sand them and use meguires plastic X!!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
Wet sand them and use meguires plastic X!!
I need a good write-up for this. I wanna do it but am afraid to jack up my lights and make them worse than they are.

Quick Reply: Replacing e60 headlight lens