E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

Any tricks to replacing the battery in these cars? Anything I need to know, like is the car going to start laughing at me after I put a new battery in and display a message like "you poor fool, you can't just change a battery anymore like the good ole days. Now you must go directly to the dealer and give him all of your money!"
Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hahhahaah Nah theres nothing special... you can still replace the battery like the good ol days... Make sure you use the right type of battery though...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

and what type of battery is the right kind-I looked at mine a couple weeks ago and it was white and a wierd shape-nothing like I have ever see nat the local auto store-where do you get these batteries and how much are they
Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='486446' date='Oct 26 2007, 11:31 AM
and what type of battery is the right kind-I looked at mine a couple weeks ago and it was white and a wierd shape-nothing like I have ever see nat the local auto store-where do you get these batteries and how much are they
I think you have to go to the dealer and give him all your money.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jjje28' post='486264' date='Oct 26 2007, 06:49 AM
Any tricks to replacing the battery in these cars? Anything I need to know, like is the car going to start laughing at me after I put a new battery in and display a message like "you poor fool, you can't just change a battery anymore like the good ole days. Now you must go directly to the dealer and give him all of your money!"
When you take the old battery out, the cars electricity will fall down!

This can mean, that nothing works after that.

I would check it out with your BMW dealer.

Is it wise to save 50 bucks or so, with these computerized cars?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by Veight' post='486449
When you take the old battery out, the cars electricity will fall down!

This can mean, that nothing works after that.

I would check it out with your BMW dealer.

Is it wise to save 50 bucks or so, with these computerized cars?
No actualy you cannot change the battery yourself as soon as you remove the battery there will be a lot of faults on board
Old 10-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

From experience, there is no problem changing the battery - you may get a prompt on the iDrive to reset the time, but otherwise its OK. You don't even lose the radio station settings! Any good battery supplier will be able to supply a decent battery - it doesn't have to be a Dealer.

One point that may happen if you have active steering - it may need resetting after you disconnect the battery. You can do this yourself - do a search on this forum, there are plenty of posts on how to do it - something like just going from lock to lock a couple of times, nothing complex.

Mike
Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='486524' date='Oct 26 2007, 01:46 PM
From experience, there is no problem changing the battery - you may get a prompt on the iDrive to reset the time, but otherwise its OK. You don't even lose the radio station settings! Any good battery supplier will be able to supply a decent battery - it doesn't have to be a Dealer.

One point that may happen if you have active steering - it may need resetting after you disconnect the battery. You can do this yourself - do a search on this forum, there are plenty of posts on how to do it - something like just going from lock to lock a couple of times, nothing complex.

Mike
Corect on AS but the fau;t is memorised even if you clear it by yrself
Old 10-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Mysthic Blue, built June 2004, Cream Leather Interior, Dark Woodgrain Dash,

Originally Posted by jjje28' post='486264' date='Oct 26 2007, 01:49 PM
Hi there,

Where is the HIDE THE bloody battery, Ive had my car for 6 weeks, and I know its in the boot somewhere.
Ive got a Euro version, 06/2004, where do they hide the little bugger. I want to SEE IT, know where it LIVES, its such an important piece of the car. Even the neighbour across the road who has a 328i does not know where his battery is, thats just unacceptable in my eyes.

Which part of the car do I pull apart to at least know where the battery is, its embarassing not to aleast know where it is and how to get to it. Ive looked for the Bluetooth TCU and looked/pulledout at thats side of the boot/trunk area, so just give me apointer as to where to look next and what panels to remove.

The bloke I bought the car from didnt know ( I knew he wouldnt, he just took the car to the dealer as part of his warranty work), so I dont want to be in the dark if the battery fails and I need some urgent assistance somewhere/sometime.

YOU GOT TO KNOW THE FUNDAMENTALS, and this is one of them. Its like knowing where to put oil.

Best I ask and look uninformed, before I look stupid in an emergency.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 530i upgraded to 2007 550i 12/20/06 Took delivery of 2008 M5 3/25/08 cf delete K&N filters, the rest stock.

There is no special tricks to removing and replacing the battery. I have had mine disconnected for the M5
paddles shifter mod and had no reset issues what so ever. The battery location is behind item 10 in the following diagram.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=51&fg=65
You should always remove the negative lead first as to prevent any wayward sparks or shorts. When installing the battery
connect the positive lead first for same precautions. Optima batteries are right at the top for quality, but they don't make one for our 5's ?

Quick Reply: Replacing battery