E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replacement coolant to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a coolant low warning (first sub freezing morning since last winter...which also caused the tires to be low and get that warning too).

Anyway, do you really have to use BMW coolant? Pain in the butt when I need to top it off to wait until I can get to a dealer. I was expecting it to be standard or extended life (orange) coolant.

Has everyone used BMW dealer coolant?

(I searched and found topics on coolant and changing, but not the specific coolant used)

thx
Old 11-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I have owned four bmw's in the past, currently a 2008 550, a 2004 545 before that, then a 1998 528 and a 1998 323. I've NEVER used BMW coolant although people say you should, but what are you gonna do when you need coolant? Wait? Or keep BMW coolant in the trunk? Not practical. Just two days ago I got the coolant low message in my 550 and I went to the first gas station and bought a bottle of 50/50 mix for 8 bucks. Good enough in my book despite what others say, I've never had one issue.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Members

Personally Id initially top up with some distilled (boiled) water. If its a significant amount or you are going to change the coolant then buy the BMW stuff. Its cheap enough.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

My indy mechanic has been working on BMW's for 25 years. He has many customers that have come to him with problems after use of non BMW coolant. ONLY use BMW coolant. It has chemicals specifically made for BMW engines. If your coolant is low, he says it is better to just top it off with bottled or distilled water until you are able to get BMW coolant.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is some types of coolant don't mix. BMW are very cagey about exactly what their coolant is (it seems to be long-life, but is the wrong colour for long-life which is usually red). That means the only safe option is to top up with BMW coolant - which fortunately isn't too expensive either.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate people that are so proud and want to brag about how they NEVER use bmw coolant or oil--well these same people also dont understand that you dont have problems in 1 month, 1 year or even a few years--its 4, 5 , 6 years etc that the engine starts to have problems as the minerals, phosphates and other elements in the wrong type of coolant react with the metals and allows of the engine and start causing cracks and problems with the block and bedplate.

Same with the oil-you are only harming the engine long term if you dont follow bmw recs of their oil or their rec oils

So be proud you spent 8 bucks on gas station coolant-way to ruin the fine engine of a bmw for you or the sucker who gets your carin the future.

And by the way you can fill any low coolant up with distilled wawter from the store-just make sure its not spring water--distilled water. You dont need to add any coolant-the amount in yhour resevoir is piddles compared to the coolant of the system. If you are losing coolant that fast where your filling up weekly than you need to get the system checked.

You should actually NEVER be having to top off coolant people. This is such a myth that dealers even tend to propogate. I had them tell me my problem with coolant going low twice in 3 months was "normal" well turns out me being persistent found a crack in my radiator leaking it out.

The system is absolutely sealed-the only way for level to drop is cracks in the engine/block where it seeps through and mixes with your engine oil, which you can see by checking your oil and doing a pressure test, OR you are leaking coolant out of the system via hoses, radiator damage.

If everything is intact you have a slow tiny leak somewhere and the coolant is just evaportating before you ever see it accumulate.

I have never had to top mine off after 3 years until the leak happened. Then never again.

Also if you do top it off make sure to leave the resevoir open and turn the car engine on, turn the defrost on and let engine get up to temperature--this sucks out air in the syste mwhich can cause problems down the line. Cap the resevoir once engine is up to temp.. The defrost helps circulate the coolant through all passages
Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Members

thanks everyone.

I have a gallon of distilled water and will top it off with that. I am in ATL, so not exactly the extreme north.

I have never heard of warming it up with the cap off the reservoir, but this reservoir is also different than others I have used. So I will do it, why not.

thx
Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by Diamond
I hate people that are so proud and want to brag about how they NEVER use bmw coolant or oil--well these same people also dont understand that you dont have problems in 1 month, 1 year or even a few years--its 4, 5 , 6 years etc that the engine starts to have problems as the minerals, phosphates and other elements in the wrong type of coolant react with the metals and allows of the engine and start causing cracks and problems with the block and bedplate.

Same with the oil-you are only harming the engine long term if you dont follow bmw recs of their oil or their rec oils

So be proud you spent 8 bucks on gas station coolant-way to ruin the fine engine of a bmw for you or the sucker who gets your carin the future.

And by the way you can fill any low coolant up with distilled wawter from the store-just make sure its not spring water--distilled water. You dont need to add any coolant-the amount in yhour resevoir is piddles compared to the coolant of the system. If you are losing coolant that fast where your filling up weekly than you need to get the system checked.

You should actually NEVER be having to top off coolant people. This is such a myth that dealers even tend to propogate. I had them tell me my problem with coolant going low twice in 3 months was "normal" well turns out me being persistent found a crack in my radiator leaking it out.

The system is absolutely sealed-the only way for level to drop is cracks in the engine/block where it seeps through and mixes with your engine oil, which you can see by checking your oil and doing a pressure test, OR you are leaking coolant out of the system via hoses, radiator damage.

If everything is intact you have a slow tiny leak somewhere and the coolant is just evaportating before you ever see it accumulate.

I have never had to top mine off after 3 years until the leak happened. Then never again.

Also if you do top it off make sure to leave the resevoir open and turn the car engine on, turn the defrost on and let engine get up to temperature--this sucks out air in the syste mwhich can cause problems down the line. Cap the resevoir once engine is up to temp.. The defrost helps circulate the coolant through all passages
I'm speaking from experience, not just talk. My e39 had 170K miles on it when I sold it and the "sucker" that I sold it to was my brother and it's still running just fine and I've NEVER had one issue with it outside of regular maint. I've never used BMW coolant, I'va always just bought from my local auto parts store or gas station. Call me lucky if you want. But I'll trust my years of experience over what someone else says. The day I have a problem related to what coolant I used, then I'll come back and say you're right. But you can't argue with damn near 200K miles of service. That's just my opinion. You do what works for you,