E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

replace rear tires with hankook v12 now vibration!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melimel
howcome you didnt do all 4? Im just asking, cause if you didnt have the vibration before you changed the two rears then obviously it must be cause they are mismatched. I mean that seems like the logical answer being that they were mounted and balanced correctly and the wheels are not bent.. Your talking about stock 172's right?

Reason I didn't buy 4 was because my front OEM conti seen to have plenty of tread left and I read somewhere on this forum that a member had the same setup oem front hankook rear and felt no problem. I didn't have vibration problem before so I leading to either the hankook tires or the tire tech and yes I have the stock 172 wheels and no vibration before the new rear tires
Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MitchBMW
WOW... I bought the same rear tires for my car and I have the vibration around 70 as well. I was thinking that they weren't balanced correctly. I didn't have the virbration before the new tires either.
How many miles u put on them tires? I'm going to another shop to get a second opinion. If the vibration is due to the mismatched tires then I guess I have to get two new front tires.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

I have federal tires on the front and Nitto 555 on the back with no vibrations.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by bonsai55555
How many miles u put on them tires? I'm going to another shop to get a second opinion. If the vibration is due to the mismatched tires then I guess I have to get two new front tires.
If your wheels are not hub-centric to begin with then check this.........
Sometimes the rings are stuck on the hubs and when you put the wheel back on without putting the rings in the wheel first you will experience this issue. It's a quick thing to check for before over-analyzing.

Since you had no vibrations before with the conti tires, I assume you did not re-balance those and therefore did not take the wheel off of the hub. If you did, take EACH wheel back off of their hubs and see if the rings come off with the wheel or get stuck on the hub. If they are stuck on the hub, CAREFULLY take them off without damaging them. Insert them into the back of the wheel....look to see if the hub is rusted badly. if so try to use a rough steel would to clean it or use a handfile if necessary then apply a bit of lube around your hub and put the wheel back on and slightly tighten the wheel in a star motion. Once fixed to the hub you can tighten with the appropriate full torque specs. Hopefully that works.
I did not read the entire post so I apologize if I've missed something.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
If your wheels are not hub-centric to begin with then check this.........
Sometimes the rings are stuck on the hubs and when you put the wheel back on without putting the rings in the wheel first you will experience this issue. It's a quick thing to check for before over-analyzing.

Since you had no vibrations before with the conti tires, I assume you did not re-balance those and therefore did not take the wheel off of the hub. If you did, take EACH wheel back off of their hubs and see if the rings come off with the wheel or get stuck on the hub. If they are stuck on the hub, CAREFULLY take them off without damaging them. Insert them into the back of the wheel....look to see if the hub is rusted badly. if so try to use a rough steel would to clean it or use a handfile if necessary then apply a bit of lube around your hub and put the wheel back on and slightly tighten the wheel in a star motion. Once fixed to the hub you can tighten with the appropriate full torque specs. Hopefully that works.
I did not read the entire post so I apologize if I've missed something.

I have stock 172 wheels. I don't think they have hub centric do they?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

I have stock 172 wheels. I don't think they have hub centric do they?
No spigot rings with stock rims.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Members

I'm probably the minority but I think it's the tires. I had new Hankook tires that went in to be balanced 7 times!! I finally got fed up and changed to Michelin tires, drove off the lot and haven't had a single vibration problem since. I realize the Hankook's are cheap but my experience says that you get what you pay for. Others around here have had good luck with them but I'll bet they will never balance all the way for you.

I'm not sure why you would need rings now if you didn't need them before. Nothing on your rim changed, just the tire.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

I got them two weeks ago.. so not many miles at all. Even my wife noticed the vibration..so it has to be noticeable!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

I can almost guarantee you that it's the P.O.S Hankook tires. I have tire #9 coming to the shop next week. These tires are absolutely terrible.

I got a set of V12's with my new wheels (package deal) and since they got such good reviews I decided to go for it instead of getting a set of Pilots as I was originally planning. After having them balanced and re-balanced about 8 times,(both roadforce and normal) I got Hankook to replace all 4 tires. And while the ride has vastly improved since they replaced them, There is still vibration coming from the rear. Of course, after Hankook and Discount Tire both got done explaining to me how all German cars such as BMW, Mercedes, and SAAB (yes, according these idiots, SAAB is now German) have really crappy susupsion and that's what was causing the issue. So I took the car to the dealer for proper diagnosis - Roadforce on right rear was 24lbs, BMW spec is max of 16. Hankook still refused to replace the tire but I paid for the warranty so Discount will have to eat it. These tires have been nothing but a miserable pain in the ass since day one. I'll never touch another Hankook product as long as live. The quality of these things is piss-poor at best.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Members

I can explain this quickly. For all people experiencing vibration, the tires sometimes are not entirely round off the shelf. I had a set on my E92 335i and after about 50 to 100 miles the tire rounded out and stopped vibrating. A shop placed the tire on a balancing machine and showed me the tire was balanced but the tread was hopping.

Quick Reply: replace rear tires with hankook v12 now vibration!!! help