E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Remote Starter (smart start) 2004 E60

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Sorry have not done one on a BMW yet
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 535 Xi

Well i don't want to give up yet... i really think it is possible to do, just have to spend more time on it!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

our na e60= zero chance to do it!!! nobody know how to add a viper alarm or any ,,,,,,its way to complicated (
Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Members

stel_i79 i think you are right! The information is so limited on this car... :thumbsdown:
As much as i hate to say it, i'm going to put the car back together... aggravation and frustration is over my head!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Nooooooooooooo!!!!! (Breathing Heavily) WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY>.....
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by stel_i79
our na e60= zero chance to do it!!! nobody know how to add a viper alarm or any ,,,,,,its way to complicated (
+1

Manipulating the DME to allow engine start w/o the key would be difficult

Control unit Car Access CAS
The CAS serves as an antitheft alarm system and enables the start of BMW vehicles.

A transponder chip is integrated in each of the vehicle keys. A ring coil is fitted about the ignition lock. The
transponder chip is powered by this coil from the CAS control unit. This means that no battery is necessary in the key.
The power supply and data transfer take place in the same way as a transformer between the loop aerial (coil) at the
ignition lock and the transponder chip.

The key then sends data to the CAS control unit. If these data are correct, the CAS control unit enables the starter by
means of a relay located in the control unit and additionally sends a coded start enable signal via a data link to the
DME/DDE. These procedures may result in a start delay of up to half a second.

Components
Data link to DME/DDE
The CAS control unit sends a coded enable signal to the DME/DDE via the data link. The engine cannot be started before
this signal has been transferred.

Engine control unit (DME/DDE) with coded start enable input
The engine control unit (DME/DDE) only enables engine start if a correct enable signal is received from the CAS control unit.

EWS-DME/DDE interface
Identical variable codes are stored in the CAS control unit and in the DME/DDE control unit. The value of these codes changes
after every start procedure. Start enable only takes place if the code sent by the CAS control unit agrees with the code
calculated in the DME/DDE control unit.

Key identification and start procedure
The following procedure takes place after inserting the vehicle key in the ignition lock:

The transponder in the key is powered via the loop aerial and sends the key data to the CAS control unit.

The CAS control unit checks the key data to ensure it is correct and only then sends an enable signal to the starter.

The CAS control unit sends the variable code to DME/DDE. There, the variable code is checked against the saved variable
code; if they match, the fuel injection is released.

After the engine has started, the CAS control unit generates new key data (change code) and transfers them to the
transponder in the key.

A new variable code is also created and stored in the DME/DDE control unit.

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...0e61/index.htm

EDIT:
Maybe you could get one of these for your garage door opener and remote start
Attached Thumbnails Remote Starter (smart start) 2004 E60-opener.jpg  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Members

If that would be a push to start! ughhhh
the only way i think it is possible to do is to imitate the actual turn of the key in the cylinder. Push to start it is possible to do with the magnets, in my case - i'm still clueless.

I called Directed electronics, they have tried working on this specific car as well! One of their executives has the same car. in any case, they told be it's a no go, for now!

530inOK
Old 09-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Members

Today i went above and beyond.... took apart ignition cylinder, checked all of the DATA wires going from ignition switch to CAS control unit... Now i can say it with ease, i did my best! BUT it did not get me anywhere.

I still think it is possible to do remote starter on this car, and i will continue looking for the solution. But for now i need my car.

Hopefully tomorrow when I'll take it out of the garage for the first time in 5 days, it will still be running

Along those five days i ran in to a few small problems, where the car did not want to start however i managed to fix the problem.

Ether way, if anybody will come across any info about remote starter on 2004 BMW 530i NOT A PUSH TO START, but a regular key (with Ribbon wiring) please let us know.