E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Relocate aux input

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 2004 M3
Default Relocate aux input

So I've seen a lot of threads about the poor location of the aux input. (Back of center console facing backseats). Some have mentioned relocating this to the center console but I was looking for some more detail on what is involved and what parts I can use. Anyone know of a DIY for this?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

just get a 3.5mm stereo headphone extension lead?
Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: 525d M Sport
Model Year: 2004

There's a couple of great vids on YouTube.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Members

Hmmm. I looked on YouTube but wasn't able to find. I'll try again. What did you use in the search?
Old 09-19-2014, 02:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 525d M Sport
Model Year: 2004

If you search for E60 aux install, roskinc installs from scratch but this illustrates how to remove trim, where to locate plug, etc.
Something I'm considering too.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Members

J2112. Have you tried it yet? I cannot get the darn wood trim off the center console! It feel like if I pry any harder it will snap
Old 10-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

watch my video on the led sport mode button install, i show how to remove the center console wood trim..

first pop out the knob, then pop out the shift boot cover (the black trim) it will expose about 3 toque screws, once those are out you can use a plastic pry tool to lift the wood trim, then it pops out. disconnect the wiring, and the menu button.

to get the center console out, pop out the rear cover tha has the 12v plugs, then their are two bolts that hold down the center console. i believe 10mm

you will need to remove the whole front trim, i also have a video on doing this.

the center console is a little pain to remove, especially wedging out the parking lever. but keep in mind before you do that the way to mount the aux in that little slot isnt easy and you will need take some stuff apart inside the center console to mount it, or use a plate to secure it there. honestly not worth the trouble to put it there, plus its all the way in the button, theirs better places to install the aux.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: '06 530i

I know it's not center console but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Install Aux Jack on DSC panel:

Install Aux Jack to rear seat AC panel:

Hope this helps....

Bud

Last edited by BuddyB; 10-12-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Members

So rather than relocating the AUX, would you guys say that just installing one near the DSC is better? I did see you video roskinc and I like that location I just wasnt sure if I could buy a new aux plug since my car already had one from the factory.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: '06 530i

Hi Peter,
If it was me, I would leave the existing OEM Aux cable that you already have going to the radio, it's OEM and why mess with it!
You can use three T tap connectors and just tie into it for another Aux cable to the DSC position.
Here ia T Tap video..If she can do it, you can too! This is such an easy way to get an additional Aux connection!

Locate where the Aux cable comes down inside the dash behind the DSC panel or wherever it is dropping down from the radio.
Then with an additional Aux cable (either purchased or if you can solder, make one up yourself, just a 3.5 mini jack and 3 wires probably together inside a outer jacket, or if the original Aux and the new Aux are very close just 3 individual wires would do)

Carefully remove the outer jacket ( you could probably carefully cut around the outer jacket -careful not to cut the wires inside - and spread the jacket back to expose the wires- if a little nick of the wires outer jacket, it's not a big deal because the wire will end up in the T tap anyway) of the original Aux cable so you have access to the 3 wires and install the 3 T taps for the new Aux.
Crimp on the connectors to the new Aux wires and connect to the T taps.

You will need to know which wires in the OEM Aux cable is TIP - RING- SLEEVE.
You can find this out numerous ways
1) via BMW Color Code
2) The back of radio check connectors
3) Pull the back seat panel and look at the mini jack

The radio will only see the jack that is being used therefore I would leave the original Aux jack, not only for OEM looks and functionality
but maybe sometime you will have someone in the back seat that wants to use their MP3 player.
Plus, why remove what is already there and working, you just want to add to the cars multi-point connectivity
When you sell the car you can tell the new owner that most if not ALL BMW's come with 1 Aux Input, yours has 2 one in the front and one in the back!
Enjoy!

You have the Best of both worlds OEM and DIY!
Just don't plug into both jacks at once, (it should not harm the radio, you will just hear both sources all gobbly gooked together) but who would do that/ Duh! LOL!

Good Luck,
Bud

Last edited by BuddyB; 10-13-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Relocate aux input