E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Regret Manual vs. Steptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

First post: I'm looking at a pristine condition 06 530i with a manual transmission and keep flip-flopping back and forth on whether or not I'll like it. My first three cars, a VW and then Audi Quattro's, had manuals and I swore I'd never go with an automatic. I then made an impulse buy on a car with an automatic and have had them ever since -- last three cars including my current 02 530i Sport Premium. I have loved this car more than any other I have ever owned, including my previous BMW 3-series, and have never regretted that it was an automatic.

Have any of you out there previously driven a stick, gone to an automatic, and then back to a stick again? I "remember" that I really enjoyed the manual driving experience, involvement with the car, and all that -- just don't want to regret my final decision. Btw, I live in the suburbs, work out of my home, and never have to be in thick traffic because I simply avoid driving the applicable roads during those times of the day.

Hope I'm not rambling ... Help? It's my only concern about this specific 06 because otherwise it seems to be everything someone would want. And, no, I haven't test driven it as it's out of state. Again, I loved the VW and Audi manuals, but have never driven a BMW with it. This is not my first "can't see it in person before buying" car purchase, so please don't be concerned about that part ... I'm comfortable with the screening process.

Do you really enjoy your manual? Any regrets? Any feedback would be much appreciated. I'm sooo on the fence, lol.

Btw, I'm WELL AWARE of the whole Manual vs. SMG debate here in the forums. I'm not looking at an SMG model right now. Let's not go there ... Hope that saves you some time ...

Outstanding community here btw!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I regret I got the automatic mainly for reliability reasons. My car has had numerous times of transmission fluid leak. Manual transmission would be much more reliable.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

First off, to the Forums. I have had both, manual and Steptronic. I really like the steptronic. There are times however when I miss the manual. Steptronic kind of gives you the best of both. Ofcourse steptronic is not an SMG but any means, but I feel it is more advanced then say the conventional automatic transmissions. I do, get stuck in a lot of stop and go driving so that is why I went with the Steptronic over a manual this time around. Your best bet is to drive both transmissions on the same model car to see what you enjoy. Good Luck and welcome aboard.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

At first, welcome to the forum!

I have a 530 diesel with a manual gearbox. The box works smoothly and I love it. Most people here (in Finland) say that you must be crazy even thinking of a manual in a car like this. I don't know... Sometimes in traffic I hope I had an automatic. But when driving on emptier roads, it is just a PLEASURE to use manual. In passing over situations especially. I really have a feeling that I control the car and it doesn't do anything before I give a command !!!

Besides, 500Nm (369 lb-ft) torque forgives much, if I'm not in a mood of stirring the box

Good luck with your choice & enjoy the forums!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Firstly, welcome to the brotherhood of the E60! Next, I've driven manuals for most of my driving years and have ALWAYS enjoyed them immensely....that being stated, in my current 545i, I have a Steptronic transmission and though I DO occasionally miss the thrill of rowing through the gears, I find that the car is plenty fast enough, and can still be shifted "manually" if the need be. In either case I'm SURE you will love the car, but perhaps test driving a couple of E60s would be the best way for you to figure this out! Let us all know how it turns out and which E60 eventually wins your heart!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Members

Previously I've always had manuals and then the car before this one, albeit a Pug 407, I elected for an auto because of the time spent on the notorious M25 (motorway around London) and regretted it from almost day one. Now I have my 5 series I am glad I'm back to a manual. Its a far more enjoyable driving experience and seems to be more responsive. Having said that the feedback I have from colleages with 5 series autos is also very good.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Thank you to everyone so far for the feedback and greetings!

Any other manual 6-speed BMW drivers out there? Love it?

Btw, my current 02 530i has the Steptronic and that's why this is such a tough choice. If I WANT to drive it 'manual-like' I can. I think it's a fantastic transmission and I have never had any of the problems other E39 auto drivers have reported. However, I noticed that GM's advice over in Europe for basically the same transmission was to replace the fluids every 60,000 miles IF you regularly drove in temperatures higher than 90 degrees (F). I think that's more of this country than some people think and because I live in Florida, that's what I did. Now 98,000 miles later is still shifts like the day I first drove it. Tight, fast, no leaks, no problems, nothing. Lifetime fluid my *&%$ ...

Anyway ... this specific car is one of those 'dream' type used cars: Personally owned, first owner, garage kept, all records, flawless appearance, BMW enthusiast, the options I desire (except that it's a manual which I wasn't looking for), and very low mileage for its year because it was not his daily driver, etc. That's what is making this so tough -- that and I do remember liking my previous manual transmission cars.

When my BMW-owning best friend helped me buy my first car [using my own well-earned funds], which 'had' to be German according to him, he approved of my VW because it was a "poor man's BMW" [said very nicely, not being a snob] and it had the prerequisite manual. "You can't buy a German car without a manual. I won't let you do that ..."

It's now over 25 years later and I can still hear his comments in my head now as I try to make this decision. I can't seem to find a manual E60 here in Orlando, even with the help of my local dealer (who provides amazing customer service). I'll keep looking as I agree that it would certainly be enlightening taking it out for a test drive.

Aaaarrrgggh ...
Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome. i love my steptronic and drive in M mode 99% of the time anyway. enjoy the forums.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

to the forum. Not a big fan of manual, just find it cumbersome in city driving. With step-tronic you get the best of both worlds without the clutch GL with your upcoming purchase.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I drove a 550i with the manual and did not like it nearly as much as my slush box 550i. I turned in my man card when I got the new Porsche, and ordered my turbo with the tripronic, and don't regret it, it has faster numbers in both the 0-60 time and 1/4 mile, because you can preload the drive train by power braking and get faster launches. Plus, I can talk on the phone, drink coffee, and play with the $2300.00 sport chrono on the dash...

Quick Reply: Regret Manual vs. Steptronic?