E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Registration of Car Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

back in July 2009, I had AAA Roadside Assistance replace my battery - $140 for the battery, $4 labor, $10 old battery disposal fee, plus tax.. $167.32 total, done in 20 minutes.. never registered the battery and have been to the dealership for routine service several times since then...no problems with the battery whatsoever.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by lightfytr
Im one of the guys who will say Wal Mart and forget the registration. Simple math... first off, not one person has posted anything concrete showing a negative side to not registering. Second BMW battery comes with little to no warranty for over $250 bucks. Wal Mart battery is $80-90 bucks and comes with a 7 year pro rated no questions asked warranty. I can only speak for myself and I have had my Wal Mart battery in my 2007 for around a year, no probs. Im riding with Wal Mart... (unless I find out different)
+1 Your math skills are excellent and you got the same answer that I did.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Originally Posted by balbs
That dealer is ripping you a new one. Also, I don't think getBMWparts.com will sell it to you since the battery is considered HAZMAT and you can't ship it. I tried to get a battery from onlinebmwparts.com. After I finished the online form, I got an email saying that they can't fulfill my order because of the HAZMAT issue.

Anyway, I had to buy the battery from a local dealer. It was about $225 (110A 850CCA I believe). I installed it myself and had an independent shop register the battery for about $50. The E60 uses the battery very heavily. There are so many things being monitored and settings saved even when the car isn't running. In a nutshell what the registration does is tell the electrical system that you installed a new battery. That way it will properly charge it as a new battery. If you don't register, it will charge it like an old battery (undercharge) which would then cause your new battery to prematurely die.

2007 with 35K...I'm not sure, but some might say that you don't drive the car long enough for the system to fully charge the battery...I don't think 4 years is too bad though. However, when I changed my battery, it was 5 years and 4 months old and still starting the car fine. I only changed it because I was having some weird iDrive errors so I thought my battery might be getting old and changing it would fix it. But that's another story.
I'm in need of a battery too. So my indy shop quote of $295 for BMW battery sounds like a good deal basing it off your purchase of $225 for battery and $50 for registration.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PlanB
I'm in need of a battery too. So my indy shop quote of $295 for BMW battery sounds like a good deal basing it off your purchase of $225 for battery and $50 for registration.
I wish our shops offered that. The shops in our area only offer aftermarket batteries. None offer actual BMW OEM batteries.

I was told by our dealer that they do not provide AAA discounts. But they said they give 10% discount for BMW Club of America. Does anyone have a membership?

It would not be big savings on the battery for us, but we have to change the breaks in the next year or so and that's pricy. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that club.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PlanB
I would also doublecheck that they are offering an actual BMW OEM battery. The shops I called told me the replacement costs, but I had to specificaly ask which battery they were quoting. And in all cases it was aftermarket battery. Also, make sure you provide them with an actual number from your battery. Ours went up in price once I gave them the number from original battery from our car. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Members

Here's an excellent article that will tell you everything you want to know about battery registration.

Link

Registration is a legitimate requirement, but it's also the sort of thing that could be easily built into iDrive, but they don't. It's one more way for the dealer to make a buck, when BMW could easily turn it into a 15 second DIY procedure through iDrive.

By the way, the reason the retailers give you a higher price quote versus a standard battery is because the type of battery BMW uses is a specialized 'absorbed glass mat' battery (not a standard lead acid battery). The reason this type is required is because the battery is inside the car (trunk) rather than under the hood, and AGM batteries don't produce the fumes that lead acid batteries do and are therefore safe to use inside the car. You pay a higher price for it, though. Saving money with something like a Walmart battery is definitely not a good thing to do. If it turns out it isn't an AGM battery, there could definitely be possible safety issues.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2012 528xi
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by Brent P
Here's an excellent article that will tell you everything you want to know about battery registration.

Link

Registration is a legitimate requirement, but it's also the sort of thing that could be easily built into iDrive, but they don't. It's one more way for the dealer to make a buck, when BMW could easily turn it into a 15 second DIY procedure through iDrive.

By the way, the reason the retailers give you a higher price quote versus a standard battery is because the type of battery BMW uses is a specialized 'absorbed glass mat' battery (not a standard lead acid battery). The reason this type is required is because the battery is inside the car (trunk) rather than under the hood, and AGM batteries don't produce the fumes that lead acid batteries do and are therefore safe to use inside the car. You pay a higher price for it, though. Saving money with something like a Walmart battery is definitely not a good thing to do. If it turns out it isn't an AGM battery, there could definitely be possible safety issues.
AGM is one of several options for the BMW but lead acid is STILL used, just as they have been for years. The requirement for the lead acid is that it be VENTED to be placed in the trunk to reduce the buildup of explosive gasses (or under the rear seat as on my E34). For what it is worth, mine is lead acid (color of the casing indicates type).

I believe there is a lot of information posted on the merits of registration (and I personally believe there is even more mis-information).
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by Brent P
This is not correct!An AGM battery can still emit hydrogen if overcharged as can a sealed lead acid battery.Both these types are fitted with a vent pipe from the battery casing,which takes any gas to the exterior of the boot (trunk).
This is a post placed elswhere:-

Regarding the two types of battery fitted to the E60 i.e. sealed lead-acid (white in colour)or AGM (black in colour),I recall reading somewhere that after March 2007 the AGM was standard fitment.The AGM does not have the "magic eye" charge indicator but both types of battery have the vent tube fitted.I also found the following article where the answer is from a BMW Senior Technician :-

" Does replacement of the battery in a 2005 BMW 530i have to be done at a dealer?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Hi,

Technically no it does not, however it would be preferable and I will explain why. Firstly, on your BMW the energy management system needs to be told that a new battery has been fitted. This is done by registering the replacement through the BMW diagnostic computer. Without getting too in depth this is important as to the charging characteristics etc.

Secondly there are two types of battery fitted to BMW's. The earlier standard Lead Acid battery (white casing) and the later AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) in a black casing,

If you have the white casing type you could fit any battery of similar type without registering if you really wanted to avoid the dealer, although I would advise it best to get it registered for a prolonged battery life.

If you have the AGM type it is especially important that it is replaced like for like and the replacement is registered as explained above. If you fit an older type Lead Acid the battery will be overcooked and useless in no time at all.

I hope that helps,
Good luck, Pyth

Source(s):

I am a BMW Senior Technician "
Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I'm thinking of ordering this AGM Battery online for $184.95, shipping included.
So Simon AKA nomis_nehc, I'm going to need your "registration" service soon. PM me for price and your location/availability .

Cranking Amps 1035
Cold Cranking Amps 900
Ah Rate (20 Hr) 95
Group Size 49
DIN Size H8

Dimensions:

Length 13 16/15"
Width 6 15/16"
Height 7 1/2"
Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Hah, I don't usually follow this thread, but somehow I took a peek today.

Sending you a PM Rizbel.

Quick Reply: Registration of Car Battery