E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Regenerative Braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

What is it and is it on my July 15 build 550?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='457211' date='Aug 9 2007, 07:46 PM
Only your hairdresser knows for sure (where did that line come from anyway, a commercial I know hmmm, wait - let me think - aha, it's Miss Clairol). So no, I don't know if you have this.

Regenerative braking is a system that captures and stores part of the kinetic energy that would otherwise be lost to heat when braking. It is frequently found in hybrid vehicles.

To be more precise,
a power converter fitted directly in the brake system converts the energy generated upon application of the brakes into electric power.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Yes, I think all the 08 5 Series has it. They are adding it to all the European 3 series this year. Improves fuel mileage by not needing to run the alternator as much. Search for "BMW efficient dynamics"

Old 08-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Make sure you read the manufacturer's description carefully. There is a lot of room for interpretation. Here is a previous post on the topic that you would have found by searching the forum: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43369
Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='457458' date='Aug 10 2007, 02:00 PM
Make sure you read the manufacturer's description carefully. There is a lot of room for interpretation. Here is a previous post on the topic that you would have found by searching the forum: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43369
It appears that is the case.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technol...generation.html

Make use of every Watt: by charging the battery only when your BMW is braking, coasting or decelerating, Brake Energy Regeneration improves fuel efficiency by up to three percent and ensures that the full power of your engine is available for acceleration.

Today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems. This energy is created by the generator (also known as the alternator) which converts the engine's power output into electricity. In conventional systems, the generator is permanently driven by a belt connected to the engine. BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.
Producing electricity in this highly efficient way delivers an additional advantage: when you apply the accelerator, the generator is deactivated - so the full power of the engine can be directed to the drive wheels. Brake Energy Efficiency thus increases fuel efficiency while simultaneously enhancing driving dynamics. As a safety precaution, the Brake Energy Regeneration system monitors the level of battery charge and will, if necessary, continue to charge the battery even during acceleration to prevent a complete discharging of the battery.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by pharding' post='457211' date='Aug 10 2007, 02:46 AM
The 550i doesn't have it yet, or what say Rudy?

I think it will be in the BMW MY '08 cars, production starting next month (9-07).
Please note that only in US the MY starts in March.

In future, all models of the BMW 6 Series, BMW 5 Series, BMW 3 and BMW 1 Series as well as the BMW X5 will be fitted with brake energy regeneration. It is the result of intelligent energy flow management which leads to a more efficient use of the energy contained in the fuel and increased dynamic performance on acceleration manoeuvres. By means of brake energy regeneration, the generation of electrical current for the vehicle power supply is focused on the vehicle's trailing throttle and braking phases. During the pulling phases, however, the generator is decoupled, providing more drive energy for conversion into driving dynamics.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='457709' date='Aug 11 2007, 06:49 PM
The 550i doesn't have it yet, or what say Rudy?

I think it will be in the BMW MY '08 cars, production starting next month (9-07).
Please note that only in US the MY starts in March.

In future, all models of the BMW 6 Series, BMW 5 Series, BMW 3 and BMW 1 Series as well as the BMW X5 will be fitted with brake energy regeneration. It is the result of intelligent energy flow management which leads to a more efficient use of the energy contained in the fuel and increased dynamic performance on acceleration manoeuvres. By means of brake energy regeneration, the generation of electrical current for the vehicle power supply is focused on the vehicle's trailing throttle and braking phases. During the pulling phases, however, the generator is decoupled, providing more drive energy for conversion into driving dynamics.
Hello,

all BMW 5er models produced since 24.3.07, except 520d, have brake energy regeneration and all other efficient dynamics features. Source BMW.de configurator.

BR