E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Recall Notice

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While having my tires changed over from summer to snows, I was told that a recall had been issued for my car on 12/5. They said it had to do with programming and that failure to address could cause "driveability issues". They need it for one day and anywhere between 2 to 9 hours. My build date was April 20, 2004.

Has anyone had there car if for this?

thanks
Old 12-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

My car is Jan 04 build and I've not heard anything. Of course if they've just mailed the letters 12/05, doubt anyone has received them yet. Anyway you can get a bit more info out of your dealer as to what exactly the recall concerns?
Old 12-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it happens to all with new software version. Mine just had AUX installed and software updated and it drives like a POS in D mode. It tried to shifted to the 5th gear when driving at 35mph, and 6th gear at 45mph. I'll bring it in next week for both AUX, bass, and software fixes.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

What is this car?
The MicroSoft 545i?

What will happen after the warranty runs out? How much will all this cost?
I guess there will be a lot of 4 year old BMW's for sale in a few years.
So much for resale value after everyone learns of all the problems we've had.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Contributors

True, but I guess all we can hope for is that by the end of four years, version 3x.x of the software will have the bugs worked out. One down, three to go...
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 AM
JDN
Contributors

Well, I am on my 31th day of being wo my baby. 28 days the first trip and this is the 3rd day for the second trip. That qualifies for a Lemon Law case in Texas. It's going to have to get worse before I'm tempted to go through that process, though. I really, really like the car, but do not like being wo for extended periods. Funny. I got the same X3 I had before. I could look at it as getting two for the price of one.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Contributors

I hear ya JDN. I've been fortunate, other than the fuel line clip recall and headlight clips a long time ago, I've never been back to my dealer. I understand how complex these cars have become, but Jimbo is not totally off base about the expense of owning these cars after the warranty expires. Either they get a stable version of the software or it will come back and bite them. I still plan on keeping mine a long time, but everything is subject to periodic evaluation. We'll see where things stand as the warranty expiration approaches.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is every time they do a SW update, new bug coming in. This car is great but I'll never own it after warranty expire. Nothing can compared to BMW drivability and gremlins.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM
JDN
Contributors

Mine was more than a bug, this time. The first was a simple software update. This time, one month later, the whole shebang shut down. I couldn't even change back to the right time zone. kcs, if it continues to be a problem, I will definitely go for the lemon law and see if there isn't a BMW option somewhere that could give me all of the thrill of my 545 wo as much computer based operation. OTOH, am I really willing to give up NAV Lady, HUD, etc.? HUD still worked but all I had was speed and cruise info.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Dec 10 2004, 07:05 PM
Mine was more than a bug, this time. The first was a simple software update. This time, one month later, the whole shebang shut down. I couldn't even change back to the right time zone. kcs, if it continues to be a problem, I will definitely go for the lemon law and see if there isn't a BMW option somewhere that could give me all of the thrill of my 545 wo as much computer based operation. OTOH, am I really willing to give up NAV Lady, HUD, etc.? HUD still worked but all I had was speed and cruise info.
[snapback]67659[/snapback]
Hey JDN, Sorry to hear your baby's back at the shop.

Maybe the impact that caused your wheel breakage f'd something up?

I didn't realize that you had HUD. If only they could put the beer girl (from your post in the lounge) on the HUD. Now that would be cool!

In any event, when I was negotiating my lease, my dealer dude asked me how many miles was I looking for. I quickly replied "When is the warranty up?"
With my father having two 750iL's over the past 10 years, I've learned.
Once out of warranty, when anything breaks on these, you are looking at a $2,500 bill for each problem... no matter what it is . And that was before iDrive, NAV, etc.

All I can say is that at 50,001 miles I'll be in a new ride. Hopefully a new M5.

Quick Reply: Recall Notice