E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RECALL (545)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

There is nothing in the current list of TSB suggesting a "RECALL" of recent vintage. There are some older recalls for various things and maybe your VIN popped up. But "RECALL" for a bad CIP I do not believe it. There are some "issues" with various CIPs and these are contained in "Release Notes" against CIPS 17.xx, 18.xx, 19.xx, and 20.xx. The dealer may think that these are significant enought to warrant a change based on your current level. It should be pointed out that 20.02 only exists due to a change to fix a E90 series problem. However, there could still be "enhancements" in 20.02 for the E60s that we do not get told about, but it is rare that the SA at a dealer is savvy enough to know this unless they really pay attention to their weekly videos.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Members

Dropped off car this morning and picked up an X3 Loaner. They had no information for me except to tell me that this is a software "recall" for all e60 545's (for North America). They said that everyone will start to receive letters from BMW NA within the next 2 months to set up appointments for this to happen. My original purpose was to get the Aux Input installed, then all this Recall BS started. The Aux input is another problem as they want to charge me 2 hours labor to do a 1 hour job. They told me it won't take 2 hours, but that is what they pay the tech to do the job...WHAT?? So, a one hour job pays two...Fing BS!!! Anyhow, I will post any noticeable differences, if any.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='252087' date='Mar 9 2006, 07:06 AM
There is nothing in the current list of TSB suggesting a "RECALL" of recent vintage. There are some older recalls for various things and maybe your VIN popped up. But "RECALL" for a bad CIP I do not believe it. There are some "issues" with various CIPs and these are contained in "Release Notes" against CIPS 17.xx, 18.xx, 19.xx, and 20.xx. The dealer may think that these are significant enought to warrant a change based on your current level. It should be pointed out that 20.02 only exists due to a change to fix a E90 series problem. However, there could still be "enhancements" in 20.02 for the E60s that we do not get told about, but it is rare that the SA at a dealer is savvy enough to know this unless they really pay attention to their weekly videos.
The OP's car has a build date of 09/04 which I think puts it in the range of those identified as part of the CBS (Conditioned Based Service) related service action that's documented in one of the SI bulletins. My guess is that this is what is being referred to as a "recall". I had this service action done when I had the car serviced a couple of weeks ago. The dealer applied 20.01 but I ended up with 20.02 when they were told to use it to fix my TCU problem (BMW Assist) per a PuMA case. By the way I have no complaints about 20.02 but then I'm not quite the leadfoot I used to be. The car still goes like stink though.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Chi-Town Racing' post='252091' date='Mar 9 2006, 10:16 AM
Dropped off car this morning and picked up an X3 Loaner. They had no information for me except to tell me that this is a software "recall" for all e60 545's (for North America). They said that everyone will start to receive letters from BMW NA within the next 2 months to set up appointments for this to happen. My original purpose was to get the Aux Input installed, then all this Recall BS started. The Aux input is another problem as they want to charge me 2 hours labor to do a 1 hour job. They told me it won't take 2 hours, but that is what they pay the tech to do the job...WHAT?? So, a one hour job pays two...Fing BS!!! Anyhow, I will post any noticeable differences, if any.
Thanks much. A software recall? Where one where is CobraDave? , and SOS.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Znod' post='252107' date='Mar 9 2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks much. A software recall? Where one where is CobraDave? , and SOS.
Has not hit the deck yet. I keep looking everyday as I also suspect that 21.xx is about to be released soon based on E60Speeds' comments. In a way I wish I could hold off on my update (going in tomorrow) but I need my VR fixed.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='252114' date='Mar 9 2006, 11:02 AM
Has not hit the deck yet. I keep looking everyday as I also suspect that 21.xx is about to be released soon based on E60Speeds' comments. In a way I wish I could hold off on my update (going in tomorrow) but I need my VR fixed.
Speak of the , and he appears. What sorts of comments might be pertinent to any of us? What is 21.xx.xx supposedly going to do according to E60Speeds?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='252128' date='Mar 9 2006, 11:27 AM
Speak of the , and he appears. What sorts of comments might be pertinent to any of us? What is 21.xx.xx supposedly going to do according to E60Speeds?
No list provided yet but probably exists somewhere. I mean there are at least 10-15 issues that the dealer sees that we do not really know of - these are the things contained in the Release Notes. Things that go crash when upgrading, lockups or aborts when updating, incorrect coding, incorrect IDs, things that cannot be performed after the upgrade (saving old NAV or Radio settings and restoring after upgrade so customer does not bitch at them), manual workarounds (often overlooked by techs as they may not have the release notes upon initial release or FAIL to read or heed them), and so on.

More on the software "recall" - BMW refers to the software issue as an "open campaign". Constantly undergoing fixes. So in that sense some SAs may use the term recall. If your vehicle has software level that suggests it needs updating then you may or may not be informed you need to bring your car in. Some dealers/SAs are more aggressive in this than others, but my SA is unaware that letters are forthcoming. I am at version 16.1 and I fit the "Needs Updating" profile. But my dealer treats it as - the next time car is in for service upgrade the software - rather than me having to ask for it.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='252155' date='Mar 9 2006, 10:07 AM
No list provided yet but probably exists somewhere. I mean there are at least 10-15 issues that the dealer sees that we do not really know of - these are the things contained in the Release Notes. Things that go crash when upgrading, lockups or aborts when updating, incorrect coding, incorrect IDs, things that cannot be performed after the upgrade (saving old NAV or Radio settings and restoring after upgrade so customer does not bitch at them), manual workarounds (often overlooked by techs as they may not have the release notes upon initial release or FAIL to read or heed them), and so on.

More on the software "recall" - BMW refers to the software issue as an "open campaign". Constantly undergoing fixes. So in that sense some SAs may use the term recall. If your vehicle has software level that suggests it needs updating then you may or may not be informed you need to bring your car in. Some dealers/SAs are more aggressive in this than others, but my SA is unaware that letters are forthcoming. I am at version 16.1 and I fit the "Needs Updating" profile. But my dealer treats it as - the next time car is in for service upgrade the software - rather than me having to ask for it.
Same here, when I scheduled my service appointment the SA looked up my VIN and then informed me of the CBS related action that would necessitate a software update. Otherwise I don't think there would have been any notification. Actually the CBS issue seemed to have been fixed after I got 19-whatever-it-was back in October as after that I had a rational mileage countdown.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Members

I picked my car back up today and it seems to be driving very well. I feel like the throttle response has improved, but when you drive a loaner X3 with a small engine my car feels really fast.

As far as the Aux Input...WOW!!! It sounds seriously unbelievable!! My stereo has new life and the bass is really thumping, way beyond the CD player. The dealer definitely screwed on the install price, but I was able to fight for a 20% discount (not bad).
Old 03-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

How much did you pay for the AUX input? I want one but not willing ot pay excess of $300 that I was quoted for to do the install. ESPECIALLY when i just bought the $36 part and isntalled it myself in my MINI and its the same dang cable for the E60!

Quick Reply: RECALL (545)