E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rebuilding 6HP26 trans soon, 550i.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport
Default Rebuilding 6HP26 trans soon, 550i.

Well my trans has been acting up since i bought this car. Since i bought it with high mileage i knew i would be diving into this. Bought with 133k, now 137 after a year. already replaced Mechatronic unit, sealing sleeve, pan, fluid, and numerous reprograms.

As i have learned ZF basically stuffed a 6 speed into a 5 speed case. This made them develop smaller clutch packs. So they wear faster. The Ford 6R80 is an exact duplicate of this transmission, licensed from ZF, and available in the 2011+ mustang, trucks, and several other cars.

Interesting tear down video (Not Mine):

I have started purchasing parts from the ctsc for the overhaul and will be ready within the next few months to tackle this. Crossing fingers.

Parts:
(1) New Mechatonic (Purchased)
1) Overhaul (seals) kit (Purchased)
(2) Fluid, pan/filter kit
(3) Clutches
(4) Steels
Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribed!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I recently rebuilt a 5HP24. If you are methodical and have the ZF rebuild manual, it is not too difficult. You most likely will not need the steels at the mileage your trans is showing. I didn't at 215k miles. Also, your kits may have extra parts for different application, don't let that throw you off your game. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 Dinan 545i, Titanium Metallic Silver, 2007 Dinan M5, 6sp, Silver Gray Metallic

Sub'd.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 PM
New Members

I just rolled 106,000 miles on mine; I've heard that it's a good idea to get the transmission fluid replaced at around this time. Is that a good idea or should it not be messed with?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DavidF
I recently rebuilt a 5HP24. If you are methodical and have the ZF rebuild manual, it is not too difficult. You most likely will not need the steels at the mileage your trans is showing. I didn't at 215k miles. Also, your kits may have extra parts for different application, don't let that throw you off your game. Good luck!
I dont have the manual but i will get one. Where did you find yours? I have been told that the 6HP26 is an easy trans to rebuild compared to others. So we will give it a go. also having the video is a nice addition. I did notice in the kit that there were parts that were not applicable.

Also are you sure about not replacing the steels? They arent cheap but if it isnt needed. I have seen people "rough" the surface up with sandpaper before putting them back in. Guess to resurface.

Originally Posted by aNo94
I just rolled 106,000 miles on mine; I've heard that it's a good idea to get the transmission fluid replaced at around this time. Is that a good idea or should it not be messed with?
Lots of threads and discussion on this. Lifetime means 100k. But that doesnt mean its a fix all. In actuality, you should change at 50k mile intervals from new. Now you could have issues or see no problems. Its a crap shoot. Since so many of these fail around the 100-150k mile mark anyway, i say save your money and put it towards a repair once needed.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:49 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
I dont have the manual but i will get one. Where did you find yours? I have been told that the 6HP26 is an easy trans to rebuild compared to others. So we will give it a go. also having the video is a nice addition. I did notice in the kit that there were parts that were not applicable.

Also are you sure about not replacing the steels? They arent cheap but if it isnt needed. I have seen people "rough" the surface up with sandpaper before putting them back in. Guess to resurface.

Lots of threads and discussion on this. Lifetime means 100k. But that doesnt mean its a fix all. In actuality, you should change at 50k mile intervals from new. Now you could have issues or see no problems. Its a crap shoot. Since so many of these fail around the 100-150k mile mark anyway, i say save your money and put it towards a repair once needed.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

The steels do not need to be "rough" to work properly and doing so is probably a bad idea. At 215k miles, the steels in my transmission stilled showed signs of the original machining marks. The steels and frictions are usually not the reason for transmission failure. Failure is usually caused by O-rings or other failed parts. For instance, my transmission failure was caused by the A-drum lip breaking off...a common failure on the 5HP24's. You should tear down the transmission find the cause of failure and then order the necessary replacement part(s). What is the symptom that is leading you to rebuild the transmission?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DavidF
The steels do not need to be "rough" to work properly and doing so is probably a bad idea. At 215k miles, the steels in my transmission stilled showed signs of the original machining marks. The steels and frictions are usually not the reason for transmission failure. Failure is usually caused by O-rings or other failed parts. For instance, my transmission failure was caused by the A-drum lip breaking off...a common failure on the 5HP24's. You should tear down the transmission find the cause of failure and then order the necessary replacement part(s). What is the symptom that is leading you to rebuild the transmission?
Erratic gear changes, bumping, slamming under load. I have a brand new mechatronic and it made it better than before, but problems still persist. I was advised by thectsc that it was likely my trans would require a rebuild.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

does the trans have to be dropped along with the engine to remove? almost requires a lift.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 6HP26 trans soon, 550i.