E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Window Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Has anyone changed out there rear window seal on a 08 LCI ? A friend of mine has an 07 Pre- LCI and he did his and I've seen some on here make a post about it as well. I'm thinking everything I read about was pre LCI though. I am not sure if the the seals are the same or not. When I look at mine, I just can't tell if its glued in or not and if the glass has to be removed in order to get the new on back in. It would really suck to pull this thing and find out otherwise! I know on my old truck the front windshield had to come out in order to replace the seal because of the dried butyl and the fitment of the glass. The install guy said you would never get this back in on the truck without removing the glass...
Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think theres a difference whether its lci or pre lci but there is an option for something called comfort glass. No glue needed and the glass does not need to be removed. Check out http://www.ecstuning.com , enter your vehicle info, click on the exterior category, then click on the window category.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

I need to do this too! I do have a pre-LCI, but I'm also afraid I won't be able to get the glass back in properly. How did your buddy do it on his '07 without removing the glass? Also a link to source the window seal at a good price, if anybody knows, would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I put a call into him but he hasn't called back yet. I remember him telling me it was very easy and there was no glue. I am going to search here too because I know I've seen a DIY for this. I just wasn't sure if there was a difference from pre and LCI. I found this wonderful DIY. WTF ? What kinda nonsense is this?
https://5series.net/forums/topic/124...1#entry1450710
I guess its SO easy they forgot to explain or post pics. I'm gonna go ahead and order the seal based on what I remember it must be a doable project and not too difficult. So I will post up some pics and a DIY to the original posting. Well. that is if it's so easy that I get a head of myself and forget to do it...
Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

Ok according to my friend he said just pull out the old one. Left, top and right side all one piece. He didn't replace the bottom seal. Install the new seal by pressing it in place. Sounds like there is no need to clean as the channel should still ave soft / sticky butyl inside. Leave this in there. I'm going to check and see if there s a sall tube of butyl that can be purchased in case a litte more s needed. Recommend to start in one of the corners and secure the top then go dwn ether side. Use a fishbone or plastic tool instead of a screwdriver. I'll post up pic when I do this.

I found this great video on YouTube for the front which I will also do at the same time. It's a three series but I am sure it's the same process

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Well you saw the video it is that easy!
  1. use a plastic scraper and...
  2. use a vacuum and vacuum the channel
  3. Use a rag and a spray cleaner (409,windex, etc) to wipe channel clean
  4. lay rubber on top of channel
  5. insert, use plastic scraper to help align and it is in.
Done almost faster than it took to write this.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
Well you saw the video it is that easy!
  1. use a plastic scraper and... http://www.youtube.c...w&feature=g-upl
  2. use a vacuum and vacuum the channel
  3. Use a rag and a spray cleaner (409,windex, etc) to wipe channel clean
  4. lay rubber on top of channel
  5. insert, use plastic scraper to help align and it is in.
Done almost faster than it took to write this.
Super, thanks for the update! What are your thoughts on the rear seal in regard to the sticky butyl that maybe left in the track? Did you have this? Should we remove it? Thats where I am just not sure if its excess or there for a reason, if its there at all. I actually haven't pulled mine yet so I don't know if its there.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Super, thanks for the update! What are your thoughts on the rear seal in regard to the sticky butyl that maybe left in the track? Did you have this? Should we remove it? Thats where I am just not sure if its excess or there for a reason, if its there at all. I actually haven't pulled mine yet so I don't know if its there.
I would not mess with the butyl, I did not have any in my track. Just clean off the dust and dirt collect over the years and install the new trim.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I put a call into him but he hasn't called back yet. I remember him telling me it was very easy and there was no glue. I am going to search here too because I know I've seen a DIY for this. I just wasn't sure if there was a difference from pre and LCI. I found this wonderful DIY. WTF ? What kinda nonsense is this?
https://5series.net/forums/topic/124...1#entry1450710
I guess its SO easy they forgot to explain or post pics. I'm gonna go ahead and order the seal based on what I remember it must be a doable project and not too difficult. So I will post up some pics and a DIY to the original posting. Well. that is if it's so easy that I get a head of myself and forget to do it...
Thanks for the write-up Tony. I will follow the directions given in the videos on the rear seal. My front seal looks good, it must have been replaced shortly before I purchased the CPO. It all sounds easy enough but I have tried a few things that members have said was EASY..PEASY and it was HARD AS HELL so I guess we'll see. Can you tell me where you purchased the seal? Let me know how your install goes brotha.

Nate
Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by infin8
Thanks for the write-up Tony. I will follow the directions given in the videos on the rear seal. My front seal looks good, it must have been replaced shortly before I purchased the CPO. It all sounds easy enough but I have tried a few things that members have said was EASY..PEASY and it was HARD AS HELL so I guess we'll see. Can you tell me where you purchased the seal? Let me know how your install goes brotha.

Nate
You can thank Healthservices for that write up. I just ordered mine. Better you contact the dealer because my car showed two different seals numbers in realoem, depending on which glass you have. Realoem doesn't get that speciific for this but when the dealer inputs your last seven VIN only one part number should come up that is tied back to your car.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Seal Replacement