E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Wheels have negative camber problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008 | 07:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

i have a 2005 545i with sport package and i blew a tire because i have negative cambers in the rear.. i just put 20" straggered rims and still doing it after allinement..has anyone tried to install a camber kit on the car or any other solutions?????
Old 06-08-2008 | 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

not sure about camber kits, but the oem sport package does cause a negative camber on their own, not sure if the 20"'s helped the situation any. What tire brand and size are you running? Are you running on the stock springs/suspension?

You could also try running a search using the upper right bar..GL and to the forums.
Old 06-08-2008 | 08:07 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

+1 negative camber is normal. how bad is the camber though? hope you are able to resolve everything. and welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 06-09-2008 | 10:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

when i found out that the cambers were negative i had the stock 18' rims with the run flats... i didn't do any suspension work to the car completely factory. so when the rear passenger tire blew, that gave me a reason to get new rims. but still after an alinement tires bend in.. its not that bad, but i would like it straight don't want to go thought tire every 6 months... does any one 545i have camber problems and how long do there rear tires last?

thanks guys love the forum really helpful!!!
Old 06-09-2008 | 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx' post='598985' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:48 AM
when i found out that the cambers were negative i had the stock 18' rims with the run flats... i didn't do any suspension work to the car completely factory. so when the rear passenger tire blew, that gave me a reason to get new rims. but still after an alinement tires bend in.. its not that bad, but i would like it straight don't want to go thought tire every 6 months... does any one 545i have camber problems and how long do there rear tires last?

BMW does it on purpose for better handling through the turns. But going through tires in 6 months is pretty quick, do you rotate the tires?
Old 06-09-2008 | 11:13 AM
Members

i just got the car a month ago and this just happened... never got a chance to rotate them.. can you rotate the tires with staggered wheels?

and also how do you put your pictures on your signatures??
Old 06-09-2008 | 11:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx' post='598985' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:48 PM

I just had my car dropped not too long ago and the alignment shop said the camber is set to negative on purpose by BMW. Just from my knowledge on here I have been hearing the tires should last about 25K miles, which is right about a year normally.

But now I am wondering if you could just ask an alignment shop to just set the camber to 0? I wonder how much you extra the tires would last, and also how much it would throw off the handling?
Old 06-09-2008 | 12:49 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx' post='599007' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:13 PM
i just got the car a month ago and this just happened... never got a chance to rotate them.. can you rotate the tires with staggered wheels?

and also how do you put your pictures on your signatures??
sorry you cannot rotate with a staggered setup.

as for the pictures, click your screen name where it says "logged in as" at the top left. then click "edit signature" in the center. if you photo is in photobucket, copy and paste the IMG code
Old 06-10-2008 | 11:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550 M Sport
Talking

I have Staggered 20's on my 04 530. I just replaced me rear tires after almost 40k miles. The tires are Nitto Extreme, and I have to say they are the best tires i have had. Yes the rear camber caused my tires to wear on the inside of the tire. Maybe two inches in from the side. I ran about 32-33 psi. The reason i claim the tires is because I was driving down the highway and all of the sudden it sounded like something was flapping against the body. I thought, huh? maybe my seatbelt or something sticking out the door. NOPE it was a foot long strip of rubber that had been worn to the thread and then seperated. I cut it off and drove to the tire shop. New tire and all is well. Have about 44k miles on the fronts and plan on changing them next week. If the PSI is too high it can make a huge difference on how long they last. I am no expert but that has been my experience. Any other thoughts?

Also,
I am not nice to them either.
I will update my profile and you will see!
Old 06-10-2008 | 11:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550 M Sport
Talking

I have never uploaded on this site so i will try now. Haven't figured out how to have this pic in my signature. I love the pic any help would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Rear Wheels have negative camber problems?-hot5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rear Wheels have negative camber problems?