E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear View mirror broke my windshield glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i

I was cleaning the dash and my shoulder hit the mirror which then caused the mirror to come off the windshield.
I look up and notice that the round part where it is stuck to the windshield is missing a chunk of glass, the glue was strong enough to take out the glass
I think i need a new windshield now

Has this ever happened to anyone ?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

not that ive heard or read any where? that sux can u glue it since its just the glass still attached? get some gorilla brand super glue, that sh*t holds so well, we have a glued plate thats been thru the dish washer about 50 times and is still stuck together!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Members

Your rear view mirror did not break your windshield, you did
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by navin
I was cleaning the dash and my shoulder hit the mirror which then caused the mirror to come off the windshield.
I look up and notice that the round part where it is stuck to the windshield is missing a chunk of glass, the glue was strong enough to take out the glass
I think i need a new windshield now

Has this ever happened to anyone ?
YIKES -- I didn't think the glue was that strong or the glass that weak! Are you sure it's not a layer of adhesive that you are mistaking for a layer of glass ? ?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

Heres a picture of the damage, I'm planning to take it to the dealership and see if they will cover it.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by navin
Heres a picture of the damage, I'm planning to take it to the dealership and see if they will cover it.

Oh yeah. That's busted. However, since it that style of break has a large surface area it can be glued with some epoxy. I think what you have there can be repaired; no problem.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Thanks man, I'm planning to take it to the winshield guy if the idiots at the dealership
refuse to replace the windshield.
There's no way glue(that they probably outsourced) should be stronger than their windshield.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

The dealership will not cover the cost of your windshield. You would have to go through your insurance company. My windshield cracked once and since I have full coverage + full glass, it was fully covered by GEICO.

P.S. And yes your windshield and every thing on your BMW is fragile. Be careful next time.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Wow, you have one strong shoulder, I am a big guy and have done the same thing (hitting the mirror with my shoulder while cleaning)and haven't had this problem. Good luck
Old 03-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Originally Posted by bmwgroup
The dealership will not cover the cost of your windshield. You would have to go through your insurance company. My windshield cracked once and since I have full coverage + full glass, it was fully covered by GEICO.

P.S. And yes your windshield and every thing on your BMW is fragile. Be careful next time.
Make sure you demand OEM glass. The insurance company fixed my wife's X5 windshied and didn't use OEM- was an issue at lease end for sure. Learned the hard way...

Quick Reply: Rear View mirror broke my windshield glass