E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Suspension Problem, Help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D M Sport E60, media pack, bluetooth, pro nav system
Arrow

So here's the problem, about 6 months ago I had a rear hub/rear trailing arm hub ball joint changed, I had the other one changed in January 2010.
The symptoms are the back end tends to snake a little under hard acceleration from a standstill, almost like your on gravel or wet conditions. It only does it for a couple of seconds, then it seems to get its composure back then settle down. My indy guy says that they need to be replaced soon, otherwise the rear tyres will wear uneven. Plus it feels like crap when you get on it.
I had the car in for a service at the indy guy who does my cars, and he told me that one of these joints was on its way out, again, I'm not sure which one is going, but at the most it'll have been on the car 11 months (20,000 miles)total! My guy said he would contact bmw to see about getting the parts replaced for free because there oem. He also said he's had a few 5 series in with the same problem, but more E61's then E60's. Bmw told him that they now want the car in (before they'll replace them)so they can examine the car and determine if the parts are defective or not.. I'm loathed to take the car to a stealer because I just don't trust them, and I think/feel that once they've got my car it'll cost me an arm and a leg.
What I want to know is, has anyone else had a similar problem and what did you do, and is there an after market company that supplies these, something a little more robust?
I also asked my guy to ask if the 535d or the M5 (both with more hp) had different ball joints to mine, maybe I could upgrade to them, but he was told that there all the same, is that true??
Any input would be most appreciated, Mick.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Contributors

bump, anyone???
Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they are bad again, if i had to guess i'd bet the indie didn't preload them correctly upon install.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Hmmmm, obviously I'm no grease monkey, but I didn't realise they had to be pre-loaded first, but I'll definitely check, but to be fair the indie is pretty clued up, but I will ask him, thanks jm
Old 01-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wickster
Hmmmm, obviously I'm no grease monkey, but I didn't realise they had to be pre-loaded first, but I'll definitely check, but to be fair the indie is pretty clued up, but I will ask him, thanks jm
just to be clear, that was a true guess, coming from my experience on other suspension bushings that needed to be preloaded prior to tightening. good luck