E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Sunshade

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Hi all,

I have encountered a malfunction with the rear automatic sunshade...... basically it went up and it wont come down,i here to motor and see one of the arms wants to move but something is obstructing it it seems like it.

If anyone can give me some advise or point me to the right place would be great.

BTW- NO WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks and happy new year to all....
Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 AM
bmx
Members

Originally Posted by syrousd' post='1083606' date='Jan 3 2010, 05:34 PM
Hi all,

I have encountered a malfunction with the rear automatic sunshade...... basically it went up and it wont come down,i here to motor and see one of the arms wants to move but something is obstructing it it seems like it.

If anyone can give me some advise or point me to the right place would be great.

BTW- NO WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks and happy new year to all....
had the motor replaced on mine couple months ago. do you hear "click-click" sound when you press the button?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by bmx' post='1083981' date='Jan 4 2010, 01:56 PM
had the motor replaced on mine couple months ago. do you hear "click-click" sound when you press the button?
no i hear the motor moving and one arm wants to fold.................seems like something mechanichal
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

maybe the arm that isn't moving is stuck or came off the tracks. Try pressing the button and then assisting it back in, I had an issue similar with mine and I was able to get it back in. It would come out fine but then had troubles retracting (I had mine fixed under CPO though)
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='1084032' date='Jan 4 2010, 04:38 PM
maybe the arm that isn't moving is stuck or came off the tracks. Try pressing the button and then assisting it back in, I had an issue similar with mine and I was able to get it back in. It would come out fine but then had troubles retracting (I had mine fixed under CPO though)
arm seems to be in the track....i dont think it popped out of the track. like i said if i can get my hands on the assembly drawing i will be able to fix it!!!!

Is there any place on this forum that has repair manuals posted???????

S
Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There's this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=51&fg=40

And there's the instructions I posted here:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=264281
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1087875' date='Jan 10 2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks rudy,

Who knew it was like solving a" Chinese Puzzle"......I will take a crack at it and see where it takes me!

Happy motoring
Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Members

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. Shade would go up, but would have a difficult time going back down. Brought it in to BMW, but they wouldn't fix it under CPO warranty.

To get the shade down, I first, put a little grease in the upper track, then with the help of a friend, one person pushed the button while the other assisted the shade down.

The shade still doesn't want to go down without help, but the grease does make it glide smoother.

Let us know if you find a solution. Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Happy to report the sunshade is fixed " BY ME" yes its true....all it needed was to be taken apart, cleaned, re-greased,re-aligned and installed.

Instead of normal grease i opted to use chemical grease which it wont brake down as easily as the normal grease.

So far its working like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssss
Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by dimsum' post='1088232' date='Jan 11 2010, 12:11 PM
I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. Shade would go up, but would have a difficult time going back down. Brought it in to BMW, but they wouldn't fix it under CPO warranty.

To get the shade down, I first, put a little grease in the upper track, then with the help of a friend, one person pushed the button while the other assisted the shade down.

The shade still doesn't want to go down without help, but the grease does make it glide smoother.

Let us know if you find a solution. Good Luck!
you should try warranty again, mine was fixed under CPO

Quick Reply: Rear Sunshade