E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Negative Camber

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I am in the process of fixing my rear negative camber to stop the premature wear in my tires. I bought from Bavauto the kit to fix it but I have not found yet a decent shop that can install it. Does anyone knows a good shop around the southern california area that works in suspensions?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

What kind of kit are you talking abt?

The OEM has an eccentric bolt to adjust rear camber.
Find an alignment shop w/ Hunter alignment machine, the machine (if it comes w/ Win Allign software), should be able to show where to adjust.

I had mine adjusted from -2.2 to -1.8 w/o any camber kit @ Firestone (I know the alignment tech there)
Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

just curious.. is that the only reason you would do that? im just saying isnt the neg camber all about handling? thats what makes these cars drive and handle like they do correct? i mean im going to assume your not riding on the track daily, but still, thats part of german engineering and these cars. why would you want to get rid of that?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by melimel
just curious.. is that the only reason you would do that? im just saying isnt the neg camber all about handling? thats what makes these cars drive and handle like they do correct? i mean im going to assume your not riding on the track daily, but still, thats part of german engineering and these cars. why would you want to get rid of that?
You are correct negative camber is about giving extra grip during turns but on the straight line and wet road (rain) I like less camber.

Tell you the truth, I can't feel much different in handling from -2.3 to -1.8 and I still feel as confident as w/ BMW spec camber. Even some RWD track car had -2.1 rear camber only.

I still think BMW's aggressive negative camber is to reduce the likelyhood of oversteer on RWD BMW on top of the traction control.

The way I look at it, even w/ -1.8, my outer tires do not wear out any faster than the inner part of thread meaning the way I drive it (both spiritedly and daily drive) are not aggressive enough to make full use of the more negative camber.

So rather than going w/ too much camber that will accelerate the inner tire wear unnecessarily and not having enough corner/aggressive driving to offset the inner wear, I choose to go w/ less negative camber setup. And also it should be easier to break the rear end loose (Read: Drift)
Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

I got mine set at -0.5 and to tell you the truth, I havent noticed a difference in the handling at all AND Ill have tires that last more than 9K miles!! Although I have no data to provide this, but I would almost bet that from the negative affect of setting the camber higher then BWM specs is somewhat offset by the positive affect of the addition of lowering springs. Because at the end of the day you're lowering the car's center of gravity
Old 05-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Members

Here it is the kit that I am referring to (attached). We all have something what we like the E60 for, but one thing for sure at least for me is that I do not want to keep buying rear tires every year just because of the premature inner wear. Once I get my kit installed I will be back to give some feedback about it. I am still looking for a good suspension shop. Thanks to all for your input though.

Juan
Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Members

Oops! I missed the attachment. Here it is the link:

http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?img...500/193526.jpg
Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by IceyTys
I got mine set at -0.5 and to tell you the truth, I havent noticed a difference in the handling at all AND Ill have tires that last more than 9K miles!! Although I have no data to provide this, but I would almost bet that from the negative affect of setting the camber higher then BWM specs is somewhat offset by the positive affect of the addition of lowering springs. Because at the end of the day you're lowering the car's center of gravity
IceyTys where have you been!!!????? I missed you@@@@@@@@@ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good to see you around hun.. thats all i wanted to say..
Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

IceyTys where have you been!!!????? I missed you@@@@@@@@@ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good to see you around hun.. thats all i wanted to say..

It was winter time in CO....so Ive been sleezing around on the Mistu Montero Sport forums. Been spending my time in the mountains on a snowboard I guess I should have gotten the x-drive! However, summer time is here and it all about for my e60 family!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IceyTys
It was winter time in CO....so Ive been sleezing around on the Mistu Montero Sport forums. Been spending my time in the mountains on a snowboard I guess I should have gotten the x-drive! However, summer time is here and it all about for my e60 family!
well good to see you back.. most are lurking, but its good to talk to ones youve known a while..