E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear differental whine 2008 528i

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Titanium Silver Metallic, Premium Package Black leather, Cold Package, Auto, Multi-contour seats, Fold down rear seats, Xenon, Navigation HUD.

Just finished my 5th trip in 2 weeks from BMW dealer. Had a whine in rear while coasting @ 53mp down to 40mph. The rear differential was replaced. have an even louder whine now and also @ 82mph down to 70 mph. Initially the dealer said it was inherent in the 528i, so I requested they take me out in another 528i, and they did with the tech driving and no noise. Made another appt to leave car for factory rep. Returned again to pick up car. They say there is a problem but they don't know how to fix it yet. They are analyzing the issue and dealer will get back to me in 2 weeks.

Anybody have this issue? Any experience with these kinds of issues?? I have my car back and they told me to drive it until they can find a fix.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Did you mention the ring and pinion setup as per another thread on this topic?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Titanium Silver Metallic, Premium Package Black leather, Cold Package, Auto, Multi-contour seats, Fold down rear seats, Xenon, Navigation HUD.

Originally Posted by pukka' post='523032' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:58 AM
Did you mention the ring and pinion setup as per another thread on this topic?

Yes I did. They said they do not take anything apart. They replace parts. BMW will not let them adjust. I asked them to put they first differential back in, but they sent it to BMW for analysis.

The tech told me the oil is lifetime and they are not able to change it under warranty. SA also told me same story.

Ohters I spoke with agree the ring and pinion is the source. i rode in a 528i with the tech and it was quiet, but the SA told me BMW apparantly has some problems with the rear. mine was an early build March 2007.

I just want it fixed. It's so annoying. Thanks , I guess no one else on the forum has had this problem. I was hoping to get some advice on handling this thing.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by joeswork' post='523051' date='Jan 26 2008, 10:18 AM
Yes I did. They said they do not take anything apart. They replace parts. BMW will not let them adjust. I asked them to put they first differential back in, but they sent it to BMW for analysis.
The dealer is b/s'ing you. In order for them to replace the rear diff - they HAVE to setup the ring and pinion.

FYI - The ring and pinion is a set of gears that connects the driveshaft to the axle. The pinion gear is what is attaches the driveshaft to the diffential. The ring gear is bolted to the diff and turns the whole assembly, which in turn rotates the wheel axles. All the diff does apply constant torque to each wheel axle (via internal gears or clutches) and allows "slippage" of either axle to support uneven wheel rpm (normally when making turns) hence the term "limited slip". So if they removed the diff, then they removed the ring gear and replaced the oil inside the assembly too.

When re-installing, the pinion gear has to be properly aligned to ensure the gears are meshing correctly. Otherwise at a minimum you will get the "whining" you are experiencing. Ultimately, the gears can wear out prematurely.

Either the service techs do not know what they are doing or they didn't touch anything on your car in the first place. Its very possible the techs just replaced the ring gear and diff with another one without even touching the pinion gear.......WRONG! Ring and pinion gears should only be used in MATCHED PAIRS. They are not interchangeable. I don't think you will find a member on this site with this problem. And if you drove in another 528 with no such noise then you have the proof to get in your dealers @$$ with. I highly recommend you lean on them to get it fixed right or pay for you to take it to a performance shop that knows what they are doing.

Sorry man, I sure hope it works out for you.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Better yet - just make them replace the whole damn axle assembly
Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='523107' date='Jan 26 2008, 01:48 PM
Better yet - just make them replace the whole damn axle assembly

Refused to replace the rear axle.
After two differentials and a driveshaft. They told me to order a new car and will give me 100% of my list against new car. I ordered a 535i last week. Their idea. works for me
Old 03-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

Glad it worked out for you.