E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear brake pad reset gone awry!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 520i, March 2004, Silver Grey, 68000 Miles, PDC, DIY iPod Setup with remote control, GLOVE BOX TORCH- YES! It might only be a 520i, but you've got to start somewhere! It's my first decent ride, and I'm still only 22. And unlike some this ain't Daddy's - it's all mine!

Hey guys, I'm hoping for some help and possibly an explanation of what's gone wrong here.

My rear brake pads were replaced by a local independant garage. The sensor was changed as well. The mechanic (a relative of mine) even made a point of explaining how the sensor works (plastic button wears through until there is metal on metal contact). So I am certain the sensor was changed.

I took the car in with 100 miles left until the brake service would be overdue. When I got the car back, I reset the service indicator. Everything looked OK up till when the mileage reset - the 100 miles remaining turned to dashes, then instead of going to 45000 or whatever the interval is, it went to -15000 (ie, 15000 miles overdue). Now when i start the car I get a message on iDrive saying the brakes are completely worn, and have to drive with the red brake warning light on all the time.

I took the wheel off and removed the sensor and everything looked OK. I removed and replaced it several times, trying to reset the service indicator at different stages of the replacement, but it keeps resetting to -15000. After a few searches, it would seem faulty sensors can be fairly common. Before I buy a new one, I'm wondering if there is a specific order or process to resetting when putting a new wear sensor on in the rear.

Is it as simple as remove old sensor with -15000 miles on the idrive, replace with new sensor, reset idrive to (hopefully) 45000? Have I just been unlucky with the sensor that was fitted.

I should add, I felt the sensor was a little loose when fitting to the brake. Does anyone who has had their hands on one feel it was a good, stiff tight fit? Mine was definitley a little rattle-y.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

do the reset on the idrive one more time. i think the car has to be running for this particular reset.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 520i, March 2004, Silver Grey, 68000 Miles, PDC, DIY iPod Setup with remote control, GLOVE BOX TORCH- YES! It might only be a 520i, but you've got to start somewhere! It's my first decent ride, and I'm still only 22. And unlike some this ain't Daddy's - it's all mine!

Gave it a try just now, Felix, but I can't access the service reset menu with the engine running. I've always only been able to do it from the last position on the ignition before the engine turns over.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport. Carbon Black, Black Leather, Sports Seats, Black Ash, Bluetooth, Auto Lights & Wipers, Navi Pro, Sunroof, Logic7, Anthracite Headlining, Heated Seats, Bi-Xenon�s, Twin DVD screens in the rear hooked up to a 10 disc DVD multi-changer, Clarion Wireless Headphones.

I've heard it can take 5-6 goes to reset it.

Might be worth repeating the reset a few times.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

It takes about 2-3x to go away after you change out the sensor.

You have to do the reset with the car off then hold the reset buttom and turn the key on to the second click with all the doors closed as well (for 2004-2005). If you a 2006 and up model turn the key to the second on position then push the reset button.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try disconnecting the sensor at the connector (not at the pad), look for pushed pins and reconnect it. Since I never had ro replace a sensor on my E60, I never saw a worn out sensor. On my E39 the sesor was just a thin metal strip embedded in a plastic block. It wasn't the metal to metal contact that triggered the warning, it was wearing through the thin metal strip and opening the circuit. if the connector at the opposite end of the cable from the sensor is not seated properly you will always get a warning light. If I didn't want to buy the sensor, but instead just checked the pad thickness occasionally, I would cut the wires near the connector and splice them together.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Contributors

I have probably tried this reset over 10 times now, (and have reset plenty of other service indicators over the years with no problems) but now that I think on it, I can't be sure that even on one of those ten times, the doors were all shut. The driver's door was almost always open IIRC.

I already had removed the sensor completely, taking the white plug out from the box up in the arch. It didnt feel like it was plugged in correctly up there either when I first looked at it, but this was AFTER I had tried to reset for the first time. So if it wasn't plugged in correctly then, that would explain why it went to -15000. However, I made sure when I reconnected it that it was plugged in properly. So now I can't really see why its not picking up the sensor.

I'll make sure I try it again with the doors shut.

Trinity, I Don't remember ever having to hold the odometer button down BEFORE turning to the last position on the ignition. Is this specifically for the brake pad reset? Like I said, I can access the reset menu no problem, it is just not displaying the correct mileage once I do the rest.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Contributors

i changed mine myself and it took a few tries to get it to reset properly. in between tries
turn the car on then off once or twice. dont just keep trying the same process over and over.
do something a little different each time, like turn the car on, go through rest menu then just
exit out.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Members

Hi Mate,
Are you sure he put a new sensor on. Sometimes they look ok and they are goosed. If it is not a brand new one then that is your problem. If it is then i think it could be faulty. Go to europarts and get a new one and all will be fixed.

Cheers

Fraseman
Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Contributors

Yeah it was definitley new - the cable was spotless compared to the other cables under there. Dunno the brand or supplier used, so I'll just get a new one from a good parts store. From the sounds of things, there's nothing particularly special when resetting the pads compared to any other reset, other than it can be a bit temperamental.

Hopefully will get it sorted. Cheers guys.