E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear brake honk

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All,

Got an odd issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered it before I start taking things apart.

I've got an 06 550i, installed Hawk Posi-Quiet Semi Mettalic pads a couple weeks back and was on stock 116s.

I just got my new VMR V713s staggered 19s and installed them Friday night, now my rear brakes sound like a horn when I come to a complete stop, so bad my wife even said "That is a terrible noise!". This wasn't happening until I installed the new wheels.

Has anyone ever encountered this? I've got some Noise Free Brake Squeal Silencer from bavauto I was thinking about applying, but I'm not sure why it would start immediately following the new wheel install. I've reached around in there and I can't find anything rubbing.

EDIT: One thing I did forget to mention I cleaned by old 116s pretty good last week using p21s and a barrel brush, although I did not have the noise when I pulled the car back into the garage following the cleanings(granted the wheels/brake components were still wet at that time).

Any guidance or experience would be appreciated.
-Shane
Old 08-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

I believe your pads may have some dirt on it. Does your rotors looks clean and no stripes on it? If there are stripes on it, this proves your pads may have some dirt or foreign materials on it. You may have to open it up again and check. GL