E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear boot submerged in water electronics are down... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52N
Default Rear boot submerged in water electronics are down... HELP!

I've got a 2007 E60 LCI and have a big problem. Was transporting a large bottle (like 20L or so) of water in the boot and while driving it so happened that half of the water escaped and got trapped where the spare wheel/PDC control modules, etc are stored. Evidently I started getting all sorts of errors while driving, PDC failure, SOS failure, etc.

I unplugged all the electronics and removed all the water from the boot. In there was unfortunately my aftermarket JBL MS-8, some other 2 channel amp, the PDC control module, MULF 2 High SVS, etc. After it dried I started to plug some back in to test them.

The PDC control module was stuffed and wasn't working but I managed to fix it by soaking it in methylated spirits and that works as per normal now which is great. I've completely lost all sound and I believe the MS-8 is also fried. I still get the SOS failure warning when I turn on the car and just now I have discovered that the iDrive system no longer turns on and the screen is blank (On a side note I am running the CIC system)

I'm pretty stressed out at the moment and have no idea what to do. Can anybody help?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Was your MPM relocated from the floor of the trunk?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by KyleB
Was your MPM relocated from the floor of the trunk?
He's fortunate - BMW stopped with the high-current MPM in a water-prone area nonsense in 09/2005, and integrated it into the Body Gateway Module (KGM). This module also holds the functions of the Safety & Gateway Module (SGM), and the pesky door modules. Less shit to go wrong.

In this case, it sounds like there is still a failed device on the MOST bus. You can try to take the MULF out of the equation by replacing it, or run a bypass by removing the 2 fibre optic in/out lines and using a coupler to connect them. Read THIS THREAD HERE to get an idea as to what I mean. Of course you'll lose the MULF functions (BT) until you get a new one.