E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Armrest Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HiGuys,

Looking for some help in fixming my rear seat armrest.

Last week my 5 year was in his car seat with the arm rest down playing with his lego, this morning i was cleaning the car and moved the arm rest up into closed position, then tried to move it back down, and its STUCK, i press the button to pull it out and i can tell there's a little bit of Lego stuck in it, stopping it releasing the latch..

Does anyone have any idea's to what i can do, i've spend around 40mins pulling and pulling but no luck, if i pull any harder i'm sure it will snap.

HELPPPPPP
Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eazyrog' post='945789' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:43 AM
HiGuys,

Looking for some help in fixming my rear seat armrest.

Last week my 5 year was in his car seat with the arm rest down playing with his lego, this morning i was cleaning the car and moved the arm rest up into closed position, then tried to move it back down, and its STUCK, i press the button to pull it out and i can tell there's a little bit of Lego stuck in it, stopping it releasing the latch..

Does anyone have any idea's to what i can do, i've spend around 40mins pulling and pulling but no luck, if i pull any harder i'm sure it will snap.

HELPPPPPP
Use your 5 year old's little hand to retrieve the lego -- then, instead of lego's give the kid a netbook and portable DVD player for use in the car ... at least he can be in tune with the times
Old 07-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Simply forcing it won't do it. LEGO vs BMW: no matter how much I appreciate my car, my bet is on the LEGO piece.

Can you see the LEGO piece? Perhaps you can get it out with something sticky, e.g. some tape on a knitting needle or something alike.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='945792' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:45 AM
Use your 5 year old's little hand to retrieve the lego -- then, instead of lego's give the kid a netbook and portable DVD player for use in the car ... at least he can be in tune with the times
OK - I'll be serious for a moment . . . if you could tell us whereabouts the lego is stuck we might be able to help with a solution. Here's a pictorial of the armrest http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=52&fg=30

I'm sure the whole armrest is removable and that might enable you to flip it upside down and shake out the thing. BMWs are a little like tettrus (sp?) puzzles - when you know how they are assembled it's easier to take them apart.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='945837' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:26 AM
OK - I'll be serious for a moment . . . if you could tell us whereabouts the lego is stuck we might be able to help with a solution. Here's a pictorial of the armrest http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=52&fg=30

I'm sure the whole armrest is removable and that might enable you to flip it upside down and shake out the thing. BMWs are a little like tettrus (sp?) puzzles - when you know how they are assembled it's easier to take them apart.
Perhaps a picture or two would be helpful?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Members

WOW, SO MANY REPLIES,

Thanks a million..

But theirs not much more infor from me..

The Arm rest is in up position and i can see any lego from any angle.

When pssing the latch you cna feel its not going all the way, hence not releasing the catch..

I know its lego as was playing with it just before he got out, but also as i pushed the arm rest up i saw it and then it was toooooo late...

Looking at the diagram looks like i will have to just pull it out and snap it/

ther than that, i can say
Old 07-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Members

Looking at the picture its stuck inside 6 / 8 /13

Originally Posted by eazyrog' post='945848' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:40 PM
WOW, SO MANY REPLIES,

Thanks a million..

But theirs not much more infor from me..

The Arm rest is in up position and i can see any lego from any angle.

When pssing the latch you cna feel its not going all the way, hence not releasing the catch..

I know its lego as was playing with it just before he got out, but also as i pushed the arm rest up i saw it and then it was toooooo late...

Looking at the diagram looks like i will have to just pull it out and snap it/

ther than that, i can say
Old 07-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport

Originally Posted by eazyrog' post='945850' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:42 AM
Looking at the picture its stuck inside 6 / 8 /13
usually when i get a lego stuck somewhere... i just force it until the lego piece smashes or breaks. this only works on smaller pieces... not sure of the size of the brick ur boy got stuck in there.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eazyrog' post='945848' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:40 PM
WOW, SO MANY REPLIES,

Thanks a million.. But theirs not much more infor from me.. The Arm rest is in up position and i can see any lego from any angle.

When pssing the latch you cna feel its not going all the way, hence not releasing the catch.. I know its lego as was playing with it just before he got out, but also as i pushed the arm rest up i saw it and then it was toooooo late...
Looking at the diagram looks like i will have to just pull it out and snap it/ ther than that, i can say
Hmmm jamming the latch ... I think you may have to try to fish the lego out with some small jewelery tools, probes, or suck. Unless you can shake it to a place in the latch where you can actually see the lego to extract it. Maybe someone can tell you how to remove the center armrest completely so you can shake it upside-down.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Armrest Stuck-latch.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='945894' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:26 PM
Hmmm jamming the latch ... I think you may have to try to fish the lego out with some small jewelery tools, probes, or suck. Unless you can shake it to a place in the latch where you can actually see the lego to extract it. Maybe someone can tell you how to remove the center armrest completely so you can shake it upside-down.
I'd just use a 2 lbs hammer and strike hard. Then just buy another one.

Quick Reply: Rear Armrest Stuck