E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Really need help relating to retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Hello,

I am in the process of retrofitting Bi-xenon headlights - I have done the splicing of wires and two fellow forum members have advised me I need to create a ground going from the chassis of the car to the spare area of the car's headlight harness, which would plug into the harness of the xenon headlight.

Problem is I don't know were an ideal place is to create a ground wire. I have figured out that it basically needs to connect to the chassis of the car but can anyone tell me which is the best spot of the car to place the wire on to. Also, as a way of checking the retrofit has worked, is there anyway of just holding this ground wire to some part of the car or something else and turning the lights on to see the retrofit has worked.

Please help as this seems to be the last step in this retrofit and I really want this to work.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I recommend to re-use the other ground wire already exist in the loom ... just splice the 2nd ground needed by the Xenon to it.

Originally Posted by jas_r_1' post='1066436' date='Dec 2 2009, 12:42 PM
Hello,

I am in the process of retrofitting Bi-xenon headlights - I have done the splicing of wires and two fellow forum members have advised me I need to create a ground going from the chassis of the car to the spare area of the car's headlight harness, which would plug into the harness of the xenon headlight.

Problem is I don't know were an ideal place is to create a ground wire. I have figured out that it basically needs to connect to the chassis of the car but can anyone tell me which is the best spot of the car to place the wire on to. Also, as a way of checking the retrofit has worked, is there anyway of just holding this ground wire to some part of the car or something else and turning the lights on to see the retrofit has worked.

Please help as this seems to be the last step in this retrofit and I really want this to work.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Which wire are you referring to? The one from the headlight harness or the one from the car harness?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Either way, you can splice both brown/ground wires together inside the headlight or by the plug ... AFAIK there is very limited space inside the headlight so by the plug from the car harness would probably easier.

Originally Posted by jas_r_1' post='1066447' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:17 PM
Which wire are you referring to? The one from the headlight harness or the one from the car harness?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D M Sport 06 | Media Package | Privacy Glass | Wheels: BMW 19" OEM Wheels Style 172 | Halogen to OEM Xenon Headlight Retrofit 6k | Rdash AE's and 6k HID Fogs.

Originally Posted by jas_r_1' post='1066447' date='Dec 2 2009, 07:17 PM
I have just done this retrofit and i connected/spliced the earth inside the headlight to the orignal earth. I have soldered all the connections as per the diagram showing the Halogen set up on this forum, so it is plug and play. I have no connections to the harness.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jas_r_1' post='1066436' date='Dec 2 2009, 02:42 PM
Also, as a way of checking the retrofit has worked, is there anyway of just holding this ground wire to some part of the car or something else and turning the lights on to see the retrofit has worked.
Yes. If you decide to have a ground wire connected to the body of the car, instead of splicing the wires inside the actual head light unit), then all you need to do is hold the ground tightly to the body, and then have another buddy turn on the lights...not the car. The lights should turn on. Then, if you turn on the car, the lights will start to flicker....which in turn is where the capacitor will prevent. The ground should be enough to get the lights to turn without the car running however.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mag75' post='1066518' date='Dec 2 2009, 08:50 PM
Yes. If you decide to have a ground wire connected to the body of the car, instead of splicing the wires inside the actual head light unit), then all you need to do is hold the ground tightly to the body, and then have another buddy turn on the lights...not the car. The lights should turn on. Then, if you turn on the car, the lights will start to flicker....which in turn is where the capacitor will prevent. The ground should be enough to get the lights to turn without the car running however.
thanks for all th replies - mag75 was spot on. Light went on when car was off but flickered once the car was on so know I just need to add the capacitor.

I did add a error cancellor cable but that didn't seem to work do I was thinking to splice wires on to the brown and yellow wires and then add capacitor to the additional wires so that it would be easier. Plus I haven't soildered anything before. Anyone with advice?

Thanks