E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Really Like the Way My Step 545i is Shifting In M:

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

A few months ago, I updated to 20.01.00 to get MP3--which now works. And, as indicated in a recent thread, I now am able to burn some decent sounding MP3's which show proper folder names and song titles when playing in my 05 545i.

Previously, I hated 20.01.00 because it messes with my ability to turn DTC and DSC off completely. Thus, while my car learned to go fast again after this update, I still can't go, for example, 0-10 or to 60' as fast as I used to and, thus, have lost a little performance ability.

But, given the way my car now is shifting in M and my MP3 successes, I am starting to judge having updated to 20.01.00 to have yielded a break-even outcome. I noted in earlier threads that I was able to confirm the existence of a rev limiter on our Step cars after updating to 20.01.00--something I couldn't do before. In this regard, I am able to put my car in, for example, M1 and M2, accelerate very moderately, and end up going beyond red line and hitting my rev limiter. Before, no matter what I did, my car could not be induced to hit the rev limiter.

Over time, the way my car shifts "automatically" in M has changed dramatically. Now, my car will hold any M gear up to a very unexpectedly high RPM even when accelerting pretty quickly. I now can drive it much like a manual--staying in the various M gears up and down the RPM range with out the car shifting too quickly. Driving in this way is something that I never could do before even when holding forward on the shift lever. My car always tended to shift before I was comfortably ready.

So, I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this sort of shifting difference post 20.xx.xx. You might want to give it a try if the prospect appeals to you.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Awesome that sounds more like how a true "Manual" mode should work. I think all steptronic Manual modes should behave like the SMG... which sounds like how yours is kind of behaving now...
Old 05-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

My M mode has operated that way thru all at least my last three CIP versions. One of the reasons for delaying my upgrade to 20.xx was to get the Gtech in hand to veryify operating parameters of STEP before and after. Partially due to your concerns with prior upgrades. I have extensive notes on RPMs under hard acceleration and by slowing increasing RPM until I hit redline. As best I can tell the 16.2 and subsequent upgrades all work the same. Only reason I cannot say 15.2 (as delivered) worked the same is car was not broken in and was not checking all the operating parameters as I had not develeped my reservations on software impacts to operating characteristics then.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='289467' date='May 29 2006, 09:11 PM
Awesome that sounds more like how a true "Manual" mode should work. I think all steptronic Manual modes should behave like the SMG... which sounds like how yours is kind of behaving now...
That's what I would say too Eric.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='289468' date='May 29 2006, 09:13 PM
My M mode has operated that way thru all at least my last three CIP versions. One of the reasons for delaying my upgrade to 20.xx was to get the Gtech in hand to veryify operating parameters of STEP before and after. Partially due to your concerns with prior upgrades. I have extensive notes on RPMs under hard acceleration and by slowing increasing RPM until I hit redline. As best I can tell the 16.2 and subsequent upgrades all work the same. Only reason I cannot say 15.2 (as delivered) worked the same is car was not broken in and was not checking all the operating parameters as I had not develeped my reservations on software impacts to operating characteristics then.
All I know is that my car did not operate the way it is now under either the CIP version it came with or 19.01.01. I had to update to the latter when my key receiving unit failed. Have you also been able to hit the rev limiter?
Old 05-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i

Originally Posted by Znod' post='289434' date='May 30 2006, 04:25 AM
I now can drive it much like a manual--staying in the various M gears up and down the RPM range with out the car shifting too quickly. Driving in this way is something that I never could do before even when holding forward on the shift lever. My car always tended to shift before I was comfortably ready.
Very Interesting experience you had. OK, I am not very familiar with CIP updates, but I know that my car wont hit the rev limiter no matter what. My car is 04, just wondering is our steptronic trans have the capability in holding forward the shifter ? I thought that?s only in SMG..
Old 05-30-2006, 03:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Znod' post='289482' date='May 29 2006, 10:31 PM
All I know is that my car did not operate the way it is now under either the CIP version it came with or 19.01.01. I had to update to the latter when my key receiving unit failed. Have you also been able to hit the rev limiter?
Yes, have hit it on occasion. Not something that I really want to do, so I do like that in M it will upshift just before hitting redline under most hard acceleration conditions. I use Manual a lot. Probably too much, but I can't stop too much fun. Probably will never get a free brake job at this rate as I am looking at 70k miles for pads according to iDrive.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='289689' date='May 30 2006, 04:38 AM
Probably will never get a free brake job at this rate as I am looking at 70k miles for pads according to iDrive.
Haha Thats what I'm saying! I wont benefit from any free maintence... probably only 2 oil changes and thats it.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UAE545i' post='289556' date='May 29 2006, 11:49 PM
Very Interesting experience you had. OK, I am not very familiar with CIP updates, but I know that my car wont hit the rev limiter no matter what. My car is 04, just wondering is our steptronic trans have the capability in holding forward the shifter ? I thought that?s only in SMG..
Yes, one can hold a gear longer with a Step by holding forward. Also, downshifting to a gear and holding forward will cause the tranny to downshift to that gear as soon as possible.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='289689' date='May 30 2006, 06:38 AM
Yes, have hit it on occasion. Not something that I really want to do, so I do like that in M it will upshift just before hitting redline under most hard acceleration conditions. I use Manual a lot. Probably too much, but I can't stop too much fun. Probably will never get a free brake job at this rate as I am looking at 70k miles for pads according to iDrive.
I use M a great deal too, and I do a lot of side shifting.

Quick Reply: Really Like the Way My Step 545i is Shifting In M: