E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Really disappointed in BMW ASSIST

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 01:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Bought the 530i back in mid 2004, no problems whatsoever for year and half, going for new years party, warning sign comes on, Engine Malfunction, something to do with Catalytic Converter as well. Mentioned alot of things like too much load on engine, stop driving immediately. Called BMW Assist, finally thought i can take advantage of the service. It was so-so. Good thing was that i did not need a phone to contact them, it worked perfectly, just hit the SOS and i was connected. I was shocked that they couldnt get a location on me!!. The tow trucking company they used could not find me AT ALL. I waited 1 hour in -6 celcius, then the cops showed up with another tow truck. I litreally had to spell it out for the tow truck company that BMW chose as to where we were, and they still couldnt find me after looking over mapquest etc, seemed like they were drunk in there, he wouldnt even leave his office!! Very VERY disappointed in that :thumbsdown: . On the other hand they did say if another tow truck comes before them, they would reimburse me,so i got another tow trucker to do the job who charged me $295 to tow it to my dealer which luckily was only 15 minutes away. I still cant figure out how the engine just went dead, when i restarted the car, the warning went away, but the enginge went dead, it wouldnt start, so the battery was draining from that point. And the catalytic converter did break, i could smell the gas. Will have to wait till monday to see what will happen. Anyone had similar experiences with the engine?
Old 01-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

After a year and a half BMW Assist is still active? Or did you pay for the re-newal fee?
Old 01-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='218060' date='Jan 1 2006, 06:22 PM
After a year and a half BMW Assist is still active? Or did you pay for the re-newal fee?
BMW assist wasnt available here in 2004, they just activated it a few months ago. So no i did not pay for an extra year. But thinking back to the time, i think its pretty worth it, since they will reimburse the cost if another tow truck shows up first. But they dont point that out in the terms, if they do, then BMW assist is an amazing service. But still, to make sure your never stranded, its a good service to have especially if say your cellphone was to die and u had no way of contacting anyone. I still dont understand why they couldnt offer a phone service when the SOS service works. And the quality of the phone call to BMW ASSIST was just superb! Right now im just thinking of the engine is gone bad, will they fix it or will they have to replace it with the new 255HP engine hehe!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ah thats nice... Well for us here we have roadside assistance... that offeres towing for 4 years the only benefit for Assist is like you said Cell phone dead or if you're in an accident and cant dial... yourself they'll call you once an air bad is deployed.

Mine JUST expired... and I didnt renew it.

Like I said before I want just half the service... the accident portion I dont need the concierge part. I can dial and make my own restruant and room reservations thank you.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

but how cool is it to let THEM make the reservations!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='218530' date='Jan 2 2006, 08:41 PM
but how cool is it to let THEM make the reservations!
Not for $265 a year its not cool. Maybe if I drove a Maybach...
Old 01-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

265? that's just one evening out! go for it!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by MaTRiX' post='217889' date='Jan 1 2006, 05:39 AM
warning sign comes on, Engine Malfunction, something to do with Catalytic Converter as well. Mentioned alot of things like too much load on engine, stop driving immediately. Anyone had similar experiences with the engine?
Actually, yes.
I got a message like that last week. Was your car idling very roughly when you started it?
I parked my car outside one day, started it up cold, and it started idling very roughly, felt as if you were about to stall a manual transmission car. It said Engine Malfunction, blah blah, Catalytic Converter blah blah. At first I thought it was something to do with my Remus muffler.
The engine died, so I tried to started it back up. It took a few attempts to start, felt like battery was dead. After it finally started, it was still idling roughly, so I put some throttle in and decided to drive away.
Driving it seem ok, didn't see the message again.
Went to go pick up something so parked the car and turned it off.
When I started it again, it was idling roughly, but no message and drivable. I kept driving for a bit before parking it back in the garage.
Haven't had a problem since.
Weird.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='218565
warning sign comes on, Engine Malfunction, something to do with Catalytic Converter as well. Mentioned alot of things like too much load on engine, stop driving immediately. Anyone had similar experiences with the engine?
Actually, yes.
I got a message like that last week. Was your car idling very roughly when you started it?
I parked my car outside one day, started it up cold, and it started idling very roughly, felt as if you were about to stall a manual transmission car. It said Engine Malfunction, blah blah, Catalytic Converter blah blah. At first I thought it was something to do with my Remus muffler.
The engine died, so I tried to started it back up. It took a few attempts to start, felt like battery was dead. After it finally started, it was still idling roughly, so I put some throttle in and decided to drive away.
Driving it seem ok, didn't see the message again.
Went to go pick up something so parked the car and turned it off.
When I started it again, it was idling roughly, but no message and drivable. I kept driving for a bit before parking it back in the garage.
Haven't had a problem since.
Weird.
[/quote]

WOW, RIGHT ON! i thought that it was the SOS that disabled the car somehow i thought the catalytic converter is really broken because i could smell the gas like smell coming through the back. Initially, first time when i turned it off and turned it back on, it was idling VERY VERY Rough, but no error messages whatsoever. But after the long SOS call, the engine just went DEAD, just like you mentioned as if the battery had died. But the battery was fine. Hmm.. The car is still sitting in BMW parking lot, will have to checkup on it tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I did not renew Assist either. I felt for the $195 they wanted it was not worth my time as all that we get in Canada is the SOS feature. I have my cell with me all of the time if I need RA. We do not get stolen car recovery or concierge servces in Canada.

Even after expiry, my telecommunications with BMW is still up and active. Service information is still being transfered to the mother ship. In the event that I am in a car accident, the Assist system is still active and should advise Assist that the car experienced air bag deployment. I would expect that they would still contact emergency services given the air bags would have gone off.

Quick Reply: Really disappointed in BMW ASSIST