E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Real Time Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, Steptronic 6, Silver Gray, Black Dakota leather, Anthracite wood, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Premium Sound, pro nav, Active Steering, Park Distance, folding rear seats.

Does the real time navigation also work in Germany if the car is US specs?
I was told that my car has the new Navigation system and I have to pay an extra $100. My car was built in September 06 and my dealer confirmed I had the new system. He also said the system only works in the US. Anyone know the answer?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by laet' post='338020' date='Sep 24 2006, 03:02 PM
Does the real time navigation also work in Germany if the car is US specs.?
I was told that my car has the new Navigation system and I have to pay an extra $100. My car was buit in Sepember 06 and my dealer confurmed I had the new system. He also said the system only works in the US. Anyone know the answer?

What part of Germany are you in and what dealer did you get your car from?
Old 09-24-2006, 04:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by laet' post='338020' date='Sep 24 2006, 12:02 PM
Does the real time navigation also work in Germany if the car is US specs.?
I was told that my car has the new Navigation system and I have to pay an extra $100. My car was buit in Sepember 06 and my dealer confurmed I had the new system. He also said the system only works in the US. Anyone know the answer?
What do you mean by "real time navigation"? Do you mean dynamic routing together with use of TMC information?

If that's the case, it should work everywhere there's TMC info available (UK, BeNeLux and Scandinavia for sure) - usually the big problem is that TMC info is hopelessly out of date.

What I don't know is - given the US is wont to go its own way on these things (e.g. GSM cellphones) - whether the TMC standards in the US are compatible with European TMC. The US has only had TMC-like messages for a few months; in Europe they have been broadcast for more than 10 years.

If you mean simply following a road on a map in "real time" as you drive along it, the issue is whether you have the right DVD loaded into the drive!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Steptronic 6, Silver Gray, Black Dakota leather, Anthracite wood, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Premium Sound, pro nav, Active Steering, Park Distance, folding rear seats.

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='338028' date='Sep 24 2006, 01:08 PM
What do you mean by "real time navigation"? Do you mean dynamic routing together with use of TMC information?

If that's the case, it should work everywhere there's TMC info available (UK, BeNeLux and Scandinavia for sure) - usually the big problem is that TMC info is hopelessly out of date.

What I don't know is - given the US is wont to go its own way on these things (e.g. GSM cellphones) - whether the TMC standards in the US are compatible with European TMC. The US has only had TMC-like messages for a few months; in Europe they have been broadcast for more than 10 years.

If you mean simply following a road on a map in "real time" as you drive along it, the issue is whether you have the right DVD loaded into the drive!!!

yes I mean Dynamic Routing or TMC, the question is does it work in Germany if I have a US spec. car?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by laet' post='338115' date='Sep 24 2006, 07:04 PM
yes I mean Dynamic Routing or TMC, the question is does it work in Germany if I have a US spec. car?
Almost certainly no.

Why would they include a "useless" (in USA) TMC decoder in a US model?

ABC
Old 09-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='338134' date='Sep 24 2006, 08:34 PM
Almost certainly no.

Why would they include a "useless" (in USA) TMC decoder in a US model?

ABC
There is now some form of TMC in the US. A thread here with some discussion. The system described is the same as TMC, but I (and the OP) don't know if the coding protocol is the same in the US!

Sorry for being thick - but are you implying the protocol is different? Or did you not know about the availability of TMC in USA?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='338182' date='Sep 24 2006, 11:24 PM
There is now some form of TMC in the US. A thread here with some discussion. The system described is the same as TMC, but I (and the OP) don't know if the coding protocol is the same in the US!

Sorry for being thick - but are you implying the protocol is different? Or did you not know about the availability of TMC in USA?
It's the same as TMC but they are calling it (Real Time Traffic Information)
I read the thread but. It does not say anything about coding. That's what I'm trying to find out for sure. So again does anyone know if this new system can be used in Germany? I know it work in US and I know the navigation system works in Germany even if the car is US specs.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm going to venture a guess here...no, it won't work because the TMC system and the RTTI system are not compatible technology-wise.

Again, I'm just guessing so if anyone has some concrete information, let us know!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

TMC is broadcasted over FM radio station radio waves, digitally encoded IIRC. Are the FM frequencies the same in US and Europe?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='338373' date='Sep 25 2006, 10:16 AM
TMC is broadcasted over FM radio station radio waves, digitally encoded IIRC. Are the FM frequencies the same in US and Europe?
I did some checking a minute ago. The BMW system uses the "Total Traffic Network" system broadcast (owned by Clear Channel Communications) and integrates it into the nav system.

According to this site, it looks like the Total Traffic Network uses the following frequencies:
Frequency: 450.21250, Input: 455.21250, Tone: 103.5 PL

I don't have any experience with TMC but I seem to recall that the frequency varies from city to city. Am I right? Also, the frequencies listed above are not within the FM band so if my research is correct, I don't think the systems are compatible...

Quick Reply: Real Time Navigation