E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

re: nyc garages

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

On the "nyc taxi...grrr" thread there were a lot of questions about garages and parking in nyc. Try to stay from from garages owned by "the Kinney System". They dented a number of my vehicles over the last 25 years. That is why I sought out a reasonable place that has park and lock spaces where you pay a bit more in order to park your own in your own space, protect the doors and bumpers as well as possible, alarm it and leave it. There are not a lot of garages that offer this option so shop around. Also if you are just coming in for the day a few extra bucks should allow you to have it parked in one of the few "elite" spots in the front area of most garages. Always ask the attendent, nicely, of course, to keep your windows closed as that will keep all the exhaust soot off of your seats and such. Generally you don't have to be concerned about stuff "disappearing" from your vehicle, but it's still a very good idea to keep everything out of sight and locked. The suggestion that you find a garage with lifts and have your vehicle raised above and separated from others is a good idea, but many attendents are not very skilled with these things and you might discover a dent. Speaking of which, make sure that you check over your vehicle carefully before you leave the garage for damage. Coming back later with to resolve an issue is impossible to prove. I hope this helps those of you new to nyc looking for permanent spaces as well as day-trippers.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by 1600' post='393880' date='Feb 21 2007, 10:02 AM
On the "nyc taxi...grrr" thread there were a lot of questions about garages and parking in nyc. Try to stay from from garages owned by "the Kinney System". They dented a number of my vehicles over the last 25 years. That is why I sought out a reasonable place that has park and lock spaces where you pay a bit more in order to park your own in your own space, protect the doors and bumpers as well as possible, alarm it and leave it. There are not a lot of garages that offer this option so shop around. Also if you are just coming in for the day a few extra bucks should allow you to have it parked in one of the few "elite" spots in the front area of most garages. Always ask the attendent, nicely, of course, to keep your windows closed as that will keep all the exhaust soot off of your seats and such. Generally you don't have to be concerned about stuff "disappearing" from your vehicle, but it's still a very good idea to keep everything out of sight and locked. The suggestion that you find a garage with lifts and have your vehicle raised above and separated from others is a good idea, but many attendents are not very skilled with these things and you might discover a dent. Speaking of which, make sure that you check over your vehicle carefully before you leave the garage for damage. Coming back later with to resolve an issue is impossible to prove. I hope this helps those of you new to nyc looking for permanent spaces as well as day-trippers.
Another E60 owner (cmansbimmer) suggested using "Bumperpads" on a car before parking in NYC. See: http://www.bumperpad.com/ I was not able to get them before my trip into Manhattan with my 530xi, but they look like a good solution to the front & rear protection issue. Most garages in NYC have signs posted saying they won't be responsible for damage to "plastic" bumpers anyway. I did take a series of photos of the car (with time/date stamp correct) immediately before parking in a garage to prove lack of damage before parking. I didn't need to use the photos, but thought they might be usable if I discovered damage.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Thanks for the run-down. I suppose the only option to be completely comfortable is to take the train, but these pointers will at least help me avoid the wrong places. Wish me luck!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i/ black with aurburn/ sport/ SMG/ m aero kit/ premimum sound/ cold weather/ heated rear/ navigation/20" iforged sprints in gunmetal with PS2's _GONE
As 1600 said pay the extra for the elite spot. I have a good relationship with the guys at my garage. They know I don't let anyone drive my car. They keep it up front and don't move it around. When I get back they simply hand me my keys. So far so good.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by BigL' post='393907' date='Feb 21 2007, 12:17 PM
As 1600 said pay the extra for the elite spot. I have a good relationship with the guys at my garage. They know I don't let anyone drive my car. They keep it up front and don't move it around. When I get back they simply hand me my keys. So far so good.
Yep, getting one of the prime spots in front is the ideal solution. The one thing that bumper pads don't prevent are the sides. With NYC garages being so jam packed, I feel that door dings are inevitable over time.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='393915' date='Feb 21 2007, 12:35 PM
Yep, getting one of the prime spots in front is the ideal solution. The one thing that bumper pads don't prevent are the sides. With NYC garages being so jam packed, I feel that door dings are inevitable over time.
I avoid all door dings using two good sized sheets of styrofoam under my car cover. I guess this is getting a bit anal, huh? Oh, well.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by 1600' post='393953' date='Feb 21 2007, 02:35 PM
I avoid all door dings using two good sized sheets of styrofoam under my car cover. I guess this is getting a bit anal, huh? Oh, well.
I've seen a lot of people with the "prime" spots use styrofoam boards on both sides of their car for this very reason. If you have "prime" spot, I would do this. But if you have a spot where your car gets pulled in and out of all the time to let others get their cars out, this won't work. You'll just find your styrofoam boards on the floor one day when you go to get your car. That would make me really mad.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='393954' date='Feb 21 2007, 02:39 PM
I've seen a lot of people with the "prime" spots use styrofoam boards on both sides of their car for this very reason. If you have "prime" spot, I would do this. But if you have a spot where your car gets pulled in and out of all the time to let others get their cars out, this won't work. You'll just find your styrofoam boards on the floor one day when you go to get your car. That would make me really mad.
Yup, but really useful for those of us parked for occasional or weekend use.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='393901' date='Feb 21 2007, 12:02 PM
Another E60 owner (cmansbimmer) suggested using "Bumperpads" on a car before parking in NYC. See: http://www.bumperpad.com/ I was not able to get them before my trip into Manhattan with my 530xi, but they look like a good solution to the front & rear protection issue. Most garages in NYC have signs posted saying they won't be responsible for damage to "plastic" bumpers anyway. I did take a series of photos of the car (with time/date stamp correct) immediately before parking in a garage to prove lack of damage before parking. I didn't need to use the photos, but thought they might be usable if I discovered damage.
you can try but i don't think it'd be worthwile. if you show up with that then attendents might be less careful, not more. they'll think since you have protection, playing bumper cars will be ok.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='394098' date='Feb 21 2007, 08:16 PM
you can try but i don't think it'd be worthwile. if you show up with that then attendents might be less careful, not more. they'll think since you have protection, playing bumper cars will be ok.
That's EXACTLY what they did with my car when I brought it back again on my E39. Don't ask me why I brought it back after they dinged my rear. They hit something so hard in my front, that my mtech bumper was pushed down into the ground when I came back the next day. That was the icing on the cake when I decided my bimmer no longer needed to be in the city.