E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RDS only displays Station Name

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Bobkare' post='249084' date='Mar 3 2006, 12:53 AM
If the customer does not wish to see these confusing RDS tags, then turn RDS off.

HAHAHAH I had to laugh on this one...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='249130' date='Mar 3 2006, 05:53 AM
Nice fix BMW.

I love my car, but BMW's inability to get some of these basic technology issues right is truely mind-blowing. GM figured out RDS on its least expensive cars years ago. But on my $65K E60, I've had to take BMW's advice and just turn RDS off. It's really unforgivable.

This sort of "fix one thing, break another" is quite common in systems that can be programmed to support many many features. We see it all the time with routers/switches, etc... features get added or fixed, and others that worked before get broken. Some ex-Cisco coders (they worked on the 7200 series - the platform that new featuresets were added to first) started a new company a while back with the intention of making a hardware and software platform that would address these sorts of things at the deepest levels. This topic is fresh in my mind because we just met with them two days ago - they claim that adding code and altering pieces of code routinely breaks other components - as we're all pretty used to experiencing by now. Having to add more new components due to the chassis they dealt with made them painfully aware of the shortcomings of the approach in use then (and in use today as well for the most part). Only by devising a modular software architecture can we hope to cure this - the systems in our cars weren't developed when coders were enlightened enough to realize this.

The good news is, this new thinking is spreading. Perhaps the next gen of systems will improve if we're lucky...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

where do you turn on/off the RDS? I have an Euro spec car and have the RDS function eversince.... But I never came across the RDS ON/OFF funciton????
Old 03-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='257222' date='Mar 19 2006, 09:53 AM
where do you turn on/off the RDS? I have an Euro spec car and have the RDS function eversince.... But I never came across the RDS ON/OFF funciton????
For me it is in the entertainment section. If you listen to your radio stations you select the "Set" menu where you can "store", "repeat" etc. and I have "RDS" in there, which I can select or de-select.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='257328' date='Mar 19 2006, 03:41 PM
For me it is in the entertainment section. If you listen to your radio stations you select the "Set" menu where you can "store", "repeat" etc. and I have "RDS" in there, which I can select or de-select.
just checked and I realy do not not have the RDS there. But I have the RDS function.....
Maybe the RDS ON/OFF is only US thing. RDS is basic and standart in Europe for ages.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='257221' date='Mar 19 2006, 12:44 PM
This sort of "fix one thing, break another" is quite common in systems that can be programmed to support many many features. We see it all the time with routers/switches, etc... features get added or fixed, and others that worked before get broken. Some ex-Cisco coders (they worked on the 7200 series - the platform that new featuresets were added to first) started a new company a while back with the intention of making a hardware and software platform that would address these sorts of things at the deepest levels. This topic is fresh in my mind because we just met with them two days ago - they claim that adding code and altering pieces of code routinely breaks other components - as we're all pretty used to experiencing by now. Having to add more new components due to the chassis they dealt with made them painfully aware of the shortcomings of the approach in use then (and in use today as well for the most part). Only by devising a modular software architecture can we hope to cure this - the systems in our cars weren't developed when coders were enlightened enough to realize this.

The good news is, this new thinking is spreading. Perhaps the next gen of systems will improve if we're lucky...
That has been true since I saw my first software control of a large radar in the mid '60s. My 30 foot antenna would go haywire at midnight rollover (2400-0000). So the fix was made, then I could not track a spacecraft to the moon as they had screwed up the nth time range tracker. And so it has gone for the past 40 years. Fix one thing, and another is broken. It's everywhere and by everyone with few if any exceptions