E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RDS and 19.01.01+

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hello Friends:

I have reported that I have RDS with my update to 19.01.01 and the following:

"but I also have some FM preset problems. Some [presets] have station names not station numbers, and I have not been able to set at least one of them. Also, getting them set is more of problem than it used to be."

I now have set all my presets, but the other problems persist. I'm not even quite sure how I managed to set all the presets, but I quess that eventaully I followed exactly the same procedure on each one. But, I am not positive of this conclusion.

OK, I am not concerned about what is above except to the extent you are. My current issue is RDS. I reported that I have it, but at the time I said so, I was only indicating the the RDS boxes were checked and that I can check and uncheck them.

Here is where I need memory help. I seldom use FM--usually its SIRIUS or CD. When listening to SIRIUS, I am able to display the station and RDS data. However, I can't do the same thing with FM. Is it likely that I used to be able to do so? Or, as things are now, was I only able to display all the presets at once and scroll among them with my joystick. With SERIOUS, I can choose to display all the presents or the specific station I am listening to along with the RDS data.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hello. Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by vnod' post='200422' date='Nov 18 2005, 09:08 PM
Hello. Any ideas?
I will to help you, but I am not sure exactly what your question is. If you check the RDS box, you will recieve the RDS broadcast from all stations that transmit one (some do not transmit RDS signals). If you watch the scrolling feature of the RDS stations, the "stored" signal is what will display on your I-Drive as the station name. For example, if you are listening to 105.3 FM, and the call sign is MAGIC 105, and the current song is Barry Manilow's "I Write the Songs" (sorry I couldn't resist). You could store any of the following as your station i.d. in the I-drive:

MAGIC 105
Barry
Manilow
I Write
The Songs

Note: I am only guessing as to how the actually RDS signal would be broadcast, but you will not receive a string of words, due to the space on the I-drive screen.

p.s. why the donv vnod? Isnt their medication for that?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by derrickj' post='200572
Hello. Any ideas?
I will to help you, but I am not sure exactly what your question is. If you check the RDS box, you will recieve the RDS broadcast from all stations that transmit one (some do not transmit RDS signals). If you watch the scrolling feature of the RDS stations, the "stored" signal is what will display on your I-Drive as the station name. For example, if you are listening to 105.3 FM, and the call sign is MAGIC 105, and the current song is Barry Manilow's "I Write the Songs" (sorry I couldn't resist). You could store any of the following as your station i.d. in the I-drive:

MAGIC 105
Barry
Manilow
I Write
The Songs

Note: I am only guessing as to how the actually RDS signal would be broadcast, but you will not receive a string of words, due to the space on the I-drive screen.

[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. Nope, the medication didn't work. I am switching to meditation. OK, below is the essence of the issue again. I'll try to explain better below the quote.

"I seldom use FM--usually its SIRIUS or CD. When listening to SIRIUS, I am able to display the station and RDS data. However, I can't do the same thing with FM. Is it likely that I used to be able to do so? Or, as things are now, was I only able to display all the presets at once and scroll among them with my joystick. With SERIOUS, I can choose to display all the presents or the specific station I am listening to along with the RDS data."

SIRIUS operation--I choose presets. Having done so, I see a list of my preset stations arrayed from lowest preset to highest--"down the page." If I select one and then choose play (I think it says play), then I am taken to a screen where only that station and its RDS info are displayed.

FM operation--I choose presets. Having done so, I see my preset stations arrayed across the screen. If I select one, then the station plays. However, the screen does not change. I am wondering if it should change--to a screen analogous to what happens with SIRIUS--a screen that displays the station alone and its RDS data. That's what happens in my wife's X5, although she doesn't have iDrive, but has Nav. I can't remember if my car operated that way before my upgrade to 19.01.01 or not.

I hope that explanation is better. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by vnod' post='200667
Originally Posted by vnod' post='200422' date='Nov 18 2005, 09:08 PM
Hello. Any ideas?

MAGIC 105
Barry
Manilow
I Write
The Songs

Thanks for the reply. Nope, the medication didn't work. I am switching to meditation. OK, below is the essence of the issue again. I'll try to explain better below the quote.

"I seldom use FM--usually its SIRIUS or CD. When listening to SIRIUS, I am able to display the station and RDS data. However, I can't do the same thing with FM. Is it likely that I used to be able to do so? Or, as things are now, was I only able to display all the presets at once and scroll among them with my joystick. With SERIOUS, I can choose to display all the presents or the specific station I am listening to along with the RDS data."

SIRIUS operation--I choose presets. Having done so, I see a list of my preset stations arrayed from lowest preset to highest--"down the page." If I select one and then choose play (I think it says play), then I am taken to a screen where only that station and its RDS info are displayed.

FM operation--I choose presets. Having done so, I see my preset stations arrayed across the screen. If I select one, then the station plays. However, the screen does not change. I am wondering if it should change--to a screen analogous to what happens with SIRIUS--a screen that displays the station alone and its RDS data. That's what happens in my wife's X5, although she doesn't have iDrive, but has Nav. I can't remember if my car operated that way before my upgrade to 19.01.01 or not.

[/quote]

Got it. I do not have Sirius, and do not have the pre wire, so I will never have it (disappointing). However, I can tell you that your FM radio works exactly like mine. I do not get a new screen when selecting a station adn the only RDS data is that which is displayed in the lower left corner in small increments. Hope that helps.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by derrickj' post='200705
Originally Posted by derrickj' post='200572' date='Nov 19 2005, 10:45 AM
[quote name='vnod' post='200422' date='Nov 18 2005, 09:08 PM']
Hello. Any ideas?

MAGIC 105
Barry
Manilow
I Write
The Songs

[/quote]

Got it. I do not have Sirius, and do not have the pre wire, so I will never have it (disappointing). However, I can tell you that your FM radio works exactly like mine. I do not get a new screen when selecting a station adn the only RDS data is that which is displayed in the lower left corner in small increments. Hope that helps.
[/quote]
Thanks very much. You definitely helped. I wish FM worked like SIRIUS--identifying station, artist, and song in the station's own window.