E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rattling steering wheel buttons...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Does anyone know if there is some kind of fix for these loose buttons or do I just keep asking BMW to replace them until I get lucky and they install a set that don't vibrate?

I know this is a trivial problem compared to transmission slams and other big deals, but it does seem like there are plenty of good button designs out there that BMW could have chosen (lots of cheap cars have buttons that don't rattle), but they didn't do it that way, did they.

Maybe this is a "shut up and suffer" kind of thing...

Thanks, Jon.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Does a particular button rattle, or all on the left/right/both sides?
Mine are quiet.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My buttons don't make a sound -- this is the first I remember hearing anything about noisy steering wheel buttons...
Old 08-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Senior Members

Haha I just heard them rattle for the first time today. The more i drive this car to more it rattles.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

U have a pretty new build. Maybe a specific range of builds? Oops, but zippers is much older so that's out. I have never seen this issue reported on the forum before now. Have u had a replacement or are u guessing that it will still be a problem if replaced? Mine feel (and sound) very solid. Last thing from my mind that a steering wheel button would rattle.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Aug 4 2005, 04:59 AM
U have a pretty new build.? Maybe a specific range of builds?? Oops, but zippers is much older so that's out.? I have never seen this issue reported on the forum before now.? Have u had a replacement or are u guessing that it will still be a problem if replaced?? Mine feel (and sound) very solid.? Last thing from my mind that a steering wheel button would rattle.
[snapback]155924[/snapback]
The culprit is the larger of the 3 buttons on the left side (the volume up/down button)... The buttons were replaced once already at about 1000 miles, and they are loose again at about 5000 miles. Again, it's not a killer but the sort of thing I don't expect in a car that is this expensive...

Jon.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Aug 4 2005, 03:31 PM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Aug 4 2005, 04:59 AM']U have a pretty new build.? Maybe a specific range of builds?? Oops, but zippers is much older so that's out.? I have never seen this issue reported on the forum before now.? Have u had a replacement or are u guessing that it will still be a problem if replaced?? Mine feel (and sound) very solid.? Last thing from my mind that a steering wheel button would rattle.
The culprit is the larger of the 3 buttons on the left side (the volume up/down button)... The buttons were replaced once already at about 1000 miles, and they are loose again at about 5000 miles. Again, it's not a killer but the sort of thing I don't expect in a car that is this expensive...

Jon.
[snapback]156047[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sounds to me like some material missing and its not being remedied by simply replacing button. Something more obscure. Have dealer open a PuMa case since the replacements did not fix it and the engineers back home can look at it more in-depth.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Aug 4 2005, 02:31 PM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Aug 4 2005, 04:59 AM']U have a pretty new build.? Maybe a specific range of builds?? Oops, but zippers is much older so that's out.? I have never seen this issue reported on the forum before now.? Have u had a replacement or are u guessing that it will still be a problem if replaced?? Mine feel (and sound) very solid.? Last thing from my mind that a steering wheel button would rattle.

Jon.
[snapback]156047[/snapback]
[/quote]

Same. Left Volume Button does it. It doesn't do it all the time though. I gave up. Lemon Law arbitration next thursday
Old 08-05-2005, 04:22 PM
MEX
Senior Members

there has been some discussion about this, i already mentioned it in a couple of posts, all you can do is have them changed under warranty.
They changed mine a couple of months ago and no problems since then.

The buttons are a separate part from the steering wheel, since they were going to open the wheel anyways i had them change the black plastic strip for the ruthenium one that comes with the 545, much better looking in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Members

Had the same problem on larger button on left side of steering wheel. Took it to dealer, and had it replaced, but button started to rattle again about one month later. Easiest fix....jam a small amount of folded up paper into the gap between button and steering wheel. Works well...nothing to thick...for it will cause the button to stick.

Quick Reply: Rattling steering wheel buttons...