E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rattling Noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009 | 06:27 AM
Members

Does anyone here experience rattling noise coming from their dash board, doors, sunroof, and from the back? I took my car to dealer (BMW New Century) 3 times, they told me they did not hear anything. They told me I am wasting time. WTF is that. If there is no noise I would not bother to bring the car to them. Life is short, why would people want to waste their valuable time at their stupid place. People have work and other commitment. These dealer is really suck. I know my car, I know what is normal and what is not normal. And I know it better than anyone.

Your input would be really appreciated.
Old 05-21-2009 | 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by altecsonyc' post='885514' date='May 21 2009, 08:27 AM
Does anyone here experience rattling noise coming from their dash board, doors, sunroof, and from the back? I took my car to dealer (BMW New Century) 3 times, they told me they did not hear anything. They told me I am wasting time. WTF is that. If there is no noise I would not bother to bring the car to them. Life is short, why would people want to waste their valuable time at their stupid place. People have work and other commitment. These dealer is really suck. I know my car, I know what is normal and what is not normal. And I know it better than anyone.

Your input would be really appreciated.
Unfortunately I've given up on my rattles... So far @ 27K the rattles I have are:
Sunroof shade (tried to get it fixed twice)
rear parcel( fixed for a little while)
Door lock pin rattles in the trim piece(just started to notice recently)
Old 05-21-2009 | 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Originally Posted by noonehome' post='885552' date='May 21 2009, 10:20 AM
Unfortunately I've given up on my rattles... So far @ 27K the rattles I have are:
Sunroof shade (tried to get it fixed twice)
rear parcel( fixed for a little while)
Door lock pin rattles in the trim piece(just started to notice recently)

Yea I got the sunroof shade as well. Im thinking It can be solved by tightening "something" up there to better fasten that metal part, or possibly putting a piece of felt/ foam at the areas that make the pots and pans clanking. It really is very bothersome. what did you do for your temporary fix? Thanks
Old 05-21-2009 | 08:13 AM
Members

Have 3 rattling noises:
1) A pillar - driver side - fixed after 3 tries - dealer spent the first 2 tries isolating the noise - found a loose metal clip
2) Rear windshield - bottom part - fixed after 4 tries - found the window moulding is loose and replaced with new one - initially thought was the parcel shelf or the 3rd brake light
3) passenger side dash - not fixed - only happens with extreme cold weather - dealer said they would have to take out the entire dash to see if the wirings are rubbing against something ?
Old 05-21-2009 | 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

Originally Posted by bobblehead' post='885606' date='May 21 2009, 09:13 AM
Have 3 rattling noises:
1) A pillar - driver side - fixed after 3 tries - dealer spent the first 2 tries isolating the noise - found a loose metal clip
2) Rear windshield - bottom part - fixed after 4 tries - found the window moulding is loose and replaced with new one - initially thought was the parcel shelf or the 3rd brake light
3) passenger side dash - not fixed - only happens with extreme cold weather - dealer said they would have to take out the entire dash to see if the wirings are rubbing against something ?
#3 is danger.... too. Did you see how many people report break clips and missing clips after their car visit dealer. I'd try to push, stick some pad in the gaps .... all way to stop the noise before send it to dealer to take it apart. It is hard "not to break" any thing when take dash apart. I did few times for the dash of my previous e39.... break some clips, some replaceable, some you have to live with unless you replace whole thing.

I am glad my current e60 535xi does not rattle at all. (for now...)
Old 05-21-2009 | 09:43 AM
Senior Members

i do have a rattle in my sunroof that i'm trying to get used to, but if i tilt or open it, it goes away
once a while i get the door seals to squeak and sound like an old ship, but since i'm out of warranty i put vaseline in the upper part of each door seal....i found it using the search tool in this forum. Works great, so now i have a small bottle of vaseline in my glove box ! LOL
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

I have just taken delivery of a new 530d SE my second and it has a rattle in exactly the same place as the previous car in the dash board in front of the steering wheel. Its not there all the time and given a past experience with an E-Class where the dash board was removed would not risk the dealer playing around with it. My wife has a new Mini Cooper it to has a rattle coming from the passengers door seems BMW are happy that we live with rattles.
Old 05-21-2009 | 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by devildawg712' post='885590' date='May 21 2009, 10:56 AM
Yea I got the sunroof shade as well. Im thinking It can be solved by tightening "something" up there to better fasten that metal part, or possibly putting a piece of felt/ foam at the areas that make the pots and pans clanking. It really is very bothersome. what did you do for your temporary fix? Thanks
Don't know what the dealer did but the parcel shelf was quiet for a season and then came back. I think it might be the C pillar cover moving against the shelf as I can push on it and make it move away from the shelf about a 1/4 inch.
Old 05-21-2009 | 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='885680' date='May 21 2009, 10:43 AM
i do have a rattle in my sunroof that i'm trying to get used to, but if i tilt or open it, it goes away
once a while i get the door seals to squeak and sound like an old ship, but since i'm out of warranty i put vaseline in the upper part of each door seal....i found it using the search tool in this forum. Works great, so now i have a small bottle of vaseline in my glove box ! LOL
hey max,

so what excuse will you tell your gf if she finds that vasaline in your glovebox?!!

and lemme guess, you have kleenex tissues in there too eh!!
Old 05-21-2009 | 08:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='885880' date='May 21 2009, 05:24 PM
hey max,

so what excuse will you tell your gf if she finds that vasaline in your glovebox?!!

and lemme guess, you have kleenex tissues in there too eh!!
when she 1st saw it she was like wtf??!! but i told her what i used it for...

Quick Reply: Rattling Noises