E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rattle from rear armrest

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Is anyone else experienceing a rattling noise from the rear armrest? I've asked the dealer to look at this during the last service call but it was still there after I picked up the car. Rattle occurs on bumpy roads (which are the norm in Chicago) and is driving me crazy . I have the armrest that comes with the non-fold down rear seats. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cocogigio' date='Dec 8 2004, 07:14 PM
Is anyone else experienceing a rattling noise from the rear armrest? I've asked the dealer to look at this during the last service call but it was still there after I picked? up the car.? Rattle occurs on bumpy roads (which are the norm in Chicago) and is driving me crazy .? I have the armrest that comes with the non-fold down rear seats.? Any advice will be appreciated.
[snapback]66560[/snapback]
Probably you need to use carbaflow (code 8323 0 309 627) for the leather of your armrest.
If you look up in the forum, you will find many people getting fixed problems like yours using carabaflow.
Hope it helps.
skorpyo25
Old 12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the other posts for info.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by cocogigio' date='Dec 8 2004, 12:14 PM
Is anyone else experienceing a rattling noise from the rear armrest? I've asked the dealer to look at this during the last service call but it was still there after I picked? up the car.? Rattle occurs on bumpy roads (which are the norm in Chicago) and is driving me crazy .? I have the armrest that comes with the non-fold down rear seats.? Any advice will be appreciated.

cocogigio,

Is it rattling or flipping/tapping noise? Whenever I go over bumps or make sharp left turns I hear tapping noise right behind me (driver-rear side).

Serge.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Members

I had a series of noises from the read deck area that included a sort of creaking (like stepping on an old wood floor), rattling (like something plastic is loose), chirping over bumps. The dealer installed some foam inserts in the areas between the rear deck and the rear window and seats - so far the noises have pretty much gone away. However, now all my other doors creak --- I've used silicone on the door seals and felt parts and that seems to work for a short time.

I wish BMW could get this right -- my 540 had similar annoyances. For the mony they should be able to build these tighter (or looser if tightness is causing these things to creak and rattle).
Old 12-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Maybe the armrest isn't locking tight enough. Try putting a piece of thin cloth in front of the lock and then lock it.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributors

The noise is definitely a ratteling sound like plastic against plastic. It's not the latch because it still makes noise when the armrest is open.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cocogigio' date='Dec 8 2004, 12:14 PM

this is a post from someone on RF who had the same situation and seems to have solved it....

My 545i has been a fantastic car. Problem-free too, except for some incessant squeaking in the back seat area that has been driving me nuts!

I finally tracked it down, and want to let people know how I did it.

Turns out that the squeak was coming from some rubbing where the leather at the back of the top of the rear seat meets a plastic trim piece at the fron of the rear package shelf where the middle seat belt shoulder harness pulls in and out as it's pulled in and out.

In other words, if you pull the middle seat belt shoulder harness out and see where the belt goes in and out at the rear package shelf, you will see a plastic trim piece that's about 4" wide where the belt pulls in and out.

Right where the back of the rear seat meets this plastic trim piece is where my squeaking was coming from. The fix is simple- get a piece of thin cloth and push it between the leather and this trim piece. In my case, I used a thin black dress sock. I cut off the straight part above the heel, about 5" long, and stuffed it between the seat back and this trim piece. Only about 1/8" or so sticks up above the seat back, which you'd never notice unless you get your head into the rear package shelf area and look directly down at it.

Blissful silence! And so easy to fix.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Members

Driver door or window rattles
Rattle from left rear door
Rattle from rear seat area

Dealer claims the third brake light assembly was causing rattle. So he had his guys tighten something....Stopped rattling for a week, but I only notice when I drive without the radio or cd player.

Name:  runfire.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  2.8 KB
Old 12-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

The driver doors need CarboFlo. get your dealer to give you a tube and apply it to the felt on the top of the doors.

Quick Reply: Rattle from rear armrest