E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rattle in glovebox...anyone had this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it didn't get fixed afterall. Take it back to the dealership. :'(

The more work dealers do on rattles the more BMW has to pay the dealerships the more BMW might actually to do something about it.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

my only concern is, now that the rattle is less obtrusive, will they even be able to fix it.

I was reading the old threads, and someone made mention of the platic black vent that heats the window. I am going to Silicone spray the suspected spots, along with all the other edges and joints in the car, hoping to quell all the possible places where this rattle might be coming from. I sucks that I do not have another stick driver to drive while i listen with my own ears... anyone live in MA, want to drive with me, and diagnos the rattle with me!!!!! Should I decrease airpressure in the tires? or maybe increase the pressure to a certain PSI. I still think it's the runflats causing this problem more than the interior design really.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Two things come to mind, check the flashlight in the glove box and make sure that it is in it's socket properly and also check the passenger's seat belt, sometime it does not recoil properly and the metal clip rattles against the side pillar.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='226006' date='Jan 18 2006, 07:44 PM
I had a rattle too that I initially thought was from the glove compartment. It wasn't.

It was this.

I hope this helps you.
Tachyon,

you're a wizard! That's a great finding. Now I've an explanation for my very strange and inconsistent rattle coming from passenger seat area!! Tomorrow first morning I'll check my seat.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Well,

After my second trip to the BMW Service for the rattle, we discovered a couple things. The master tech (who by the way was both resourceful, helpful and didn't mind takign a 30 min ride to listen to the rattle, tightened the passenger door, and applied a bmw silicone lube to the edges of the metal which touches the seals. So far, it seems to have stopped the rattle.

I cannot believe such a great car has this achilles heal. And what fixes it... bmw lube. WHo knows how long this will be a fix...i plan on carring around the silicone lube in the glovebox, incase it starts acting up again. I will keep everyone posted...but BMW sells this stuff straight from germany, and i applied it to over areas just incase the rattle was coming from another section. So for atleast one day, its drum solid. Heres hoping it stays this way. But I will only cross my fingers.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I have it. Its the glove box latch. If you open it and feel where the latch latches to under the glove box its metal. When the glove box is closed it like hooks and hangs onto that (*two holes*) and if your glovebox has a little play in it it'll rattle. I fixed it by getting some electrical tape, 2 layers, and taping the inner side of the latch where the golve box closes and latches onto.

Its hard to explain... the best way to test if this is your problem is when you hear the rattle push against the glove box door if it stops rattling then thats it.

Here are some pics... basically if theres any play in the two clips when closed against the upper latch

Rattle in glovebox...anyone had this?-img_6167.jpg

It'll rattle against the metal latch above the glovebox.

Rattle in glovebox...anyone had this?-img_6165.jpg

So basically I put electrical tape in between the latch and the clip. No more rattle...
Old 01-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Members

thanks so much for the digital pictures...I bet this is what's going on...I will check it out when I get out of work today!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jk479' post='228246' date='Jan 23 2006, 08:02 AM
thanks so much for the digital pictures...I bet this is what's going on...I will check it out when I get out of work today!

Did you figure it out? Did my home made recipe work?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Members

Hi...it wasn't the rattle...but i think i narrowed it down...

Could it be the wood interior? I think it's loose toward the end of the dash, where it meets the door...i stick a business card in the gap, and all seems to be quiet today...

shoddy temp fix, since it looks like hell...

is this a known rattle?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Members

Well, I guess I can confirm that the annoying rattle was actually the wood interior trim on the dash. Where it was rubbing on the dash, i slid a business card in the spot. Anyone has suggestion sof a permanent fix for this?

OR should i take it to the dealer and have them to a fix.

Quick Reply: Rattle in glovebox...anyone had this?