E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rattle in glovebox...anyone had this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Hi All,

With all new cars, we experience a rattle...mine happens to be in the glove box. Or the region near the glove box. Could there be anything that rattles in there that I can secure. It's only over the harsher bumps. Also wonderign if it is the glass rubbing the dashboard. Hav enot had a passenger present to hear the rattle. Just been turning up the stereo. Any documenation on a rattle in the glovebox?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 525ise, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, 18'' Runflats, Folding mirrors, Automatic/man box,parking sensers front/rear,latest addition 645ci black saphire, with everthing on, nothing it does not have.

i have sort of the same but i think it is coming from the cover where the windscreen meets the part where the door shuts. i am looking to remove this trim and this board has told me how to but i am worried about the air bag
Old 01-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Any ideas guys...anyone have this problem. it sounds like the cd changer is movign around, or somthing to that affect.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Members

525iiiii, can you elaboratea little more...which do you mean by windscreen...do you mean seal?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Open the glove box, check every panel, knock on them, move the glovebox back and forth, see if anything is loose, shake it to see if you can replicate the rattle. With someone driving, listen close to hear where it rattles... Once you know what rattles, you can start thinking how to fix it. Or just let dealer take care of it. :-)
Old 01-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Contributors

I had a rattle too that I initially thought was from the glove compartment. It wasn't.

It was this.

I hope this helps you.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by jk479' post='225961' date='Jan 18 2006, 09:11 AM
Any ideas guys...anyone have this problem. it sounds like the cd changer is movign around, or somthing to that affect.

I do have that problem too. I thought it was the CD changer magazine, but that wasn't it. Tachyon's solution about the seat trim panel is interesting but mine was secure. However when I was poking around (and driving at the same time), the tiny rattling noise I'm getting only goes away with the glove box door open. I'm going to try and check the latches and see if everything's secure/lubricated.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Members

Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for the ideas...this site rocks, and as an owner now, i can see why it's the place to be. I'l snap so pictures when i get the car washed tomorrow. So far, loving every second...
Old 01-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Members

UPDATE: BMW located the rattle. It was the Pillar next to the dash. Rattle elimintated. What a difference, the cabin is much quieter. Seems a piece inside the pilliar was broken and rattling away. We'll see if it comes back to haunt me, for no smooth crusing.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:31 AM
Members

IT's Back...

The rattle that is... So it must not have been coming from the B Pilliar. It's less distracting, so I think I may be able to live with it. I SWEAR it's the runflat tires. I am not ready to invest in new tires just yet, but this is really annoying! Anyone else has a tap tap coming from the top right of the dash...

Could it be...

the glass touching the windshield

the door seals maybe

in the glove box

the air vents

I feel sort of silly going back to the dealership, anyone else here care to chime in and end the rattle saga.

Quick Reply: Rattle in glovebox...anyone had this?