E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Random overheated msg? Looking for some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm driving yesterday fairly spiritedly for abt 5 min. I get off the highway and I get the "engine overheated" msg. I pull over and notice I do not hear the auxiliary fan that is associated with a hot car. Let the car sit turn it back on, no msg and still no fan. Weird to me so I then drive hard to see if the fan cuts on it does and no overheating msg. I need a new radiator because mine leaks(ordered yesterday ironically) and a new battery. Car wasn't low on coolant and I had my cooling system done earlier this year(water pump thermostat). Further more i put my car up to a GT1 and showing no errors. Any idea what this could be? Thanks for your input
Old 12-24-2011, 03:29 PM
New Members

Oil Level Sensor... Had the same issue on mine..no fan, new thermostat and waterpump, as well as temp sensor. Apparently this is a known issue with the E60..The Oil level sensor sending false signals to DME.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Nope changed that recently, sorry forgot to mention that. It happened again the other night so I opened the expansion tank, it was a little low but it didnt even bubble over theres no way the car couldve been hot if I was able to open that with ease
Old 12-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Any ideas at all??
Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

Happened again, the fan didn't come on, this time under fairly heavy load but not at all while I was driving all day. When the overheated MSG comes up I get a rough idle no SES light but im thinking thermostat? I really could use some help guys
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jk3007
Oil Level Sensor... Had the same issue on mine..no fan, new thermostat and waterpump, as well as temp sensor. Apparently this is a known issue with the E60..The Oil level sensor sending false signals to DME.
Hey I mistook your post for the oil PRESSURE sensor which is diff from from the oil LEVEL sensor pls do tell me more
Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Use this and get to menu number 7 and check what readout it gives for a cold engine (to check the thermometer's not broken). Then drive around and see what kind of temperatures you get.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
Use this and get to menu number 7 and check what readout it gives for a cold engine (to check the thermometer's not broken). Then drive around and see what kind of temperatures you get.
So wait until the car is cold?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

also, open the cap to the expansion tank, start the engine and see if water is actually circulating/returning from the top most hose (i think this applies for petrol as well).
Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
107848 is my VIN which equals 28 but the other menus aren't coming up

Edit: got it went on a very spirited drivebfor abt 15 mims' no msgs and the coolant temp ranged from 85-110 celcius

Quick Reply: Random overheated msg? Looking for some insight.