E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ran over a tire tread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray/Black Leather 545i, 6SP Manual, Sport Package, Anthracite Maple Wood, Satellite Preparation. H&R coilover suspension, Radenergie 20's
Question

ran over a tire tread.-image015.jpg
I was on my way to northern California. It was past midnight. WHile going through the grapvine(the mountain pass just after Magic Mountian) I ran over a tire tread capping. It was dark, my eyes are not too great. I could've swerved, but I was too tired to do abrupt and sudden moves like that. So i ran over it. I hear it go through the bottom of my car. It didn't sound too bad. So I took the next exit to find out what happened. My heart broke :'( . I was kinda disappointed by how flimzy this Hamann front lip was. I'm not sure sure if i should buy another one to replace it. I want a real bumper. A real bumper shouldn't have broke from that. Im sure the E60 M5 bumper wouldn't have broken. Is it possible to put the M5 cosmetics on the regular E60s? Front and rear bumpers and sideskirts? If so how much? Sorry for the pic quality. I just used my cellphone to take it.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i

Originally Posted by ruffryder037roa' date='Jul 31 2005, 01:51 PM
Attachment 9389
I was on my way to northern California. It was past midnight. WHile going through the grapvine(the mountain pass just after Magic Mountian) I ran over a tire tread capping. It was dark, my eyes are not too great. I could've swerved, but I was too tired to do abrupt and sudden moves like that. So i ran over it. I hear it go through the bottom of my car. It didn't sound too bad. So I took the next exit to find out what happened. My heart broke :'( . I was kinda disappointed by how flimzy this Hamann front lip was. I'm not sure sure if i should buy another one to replace it. I want a real bumper. A real bumper shouldn't have broke from that. Im sure the E60 M5 bumper wouldn't have broken. Is it possible to put the M5 cosmetics on the regular E60s? Front and rear bumpers and sideskirts? If so how much? Sorry for the pic quality. I just used my cellphone to take it.
[snapback]154866[/snapback]

wow, thats sucks. you can put an m tech kit on it. do a search.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Around here they call them alligators...sorry for your bad luck. Insurance should cover?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

YIKES! Ouch... if you had the regular bumper than thats good! perfect opportunity to get new one but u already had the ACS add on... so sorry to hear...

Originally Posted by ruffryder037roa' date='Jul 31 2005, 11:51 AM
Is it possible to put the M5 cosmetics on the regular E60s? Front and rear bumpers and sideskirts??
M5 Front and rear bumper, no, not possible... the M5 fenders are wider than the Regular series cars so you'll need new fenders also and that would be $$$$$ a lot!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray/Black Leather 545i, 6SP Manual, Sport Package, Anthracite Maple Wood, Satellite Preparation. H&R coilover suspension, Radenergie 20's

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jul 31 2005, 08:17 PM
YIKES! Ouch... if you had the regular bumper than thats good! perfect opportunity to get new one but u already had the ACS add on... so sorry to hear...

[quote name='ruffryder037roa' date='Jul 31 2005, 11:51 AM']Is it possible to put the M5 cosmetics on the regular E60s? Front and rear bumpers and sideskirts??
M5 Front and rear bumper, no, not possible... the M5 fenders are wider than the Regular series cars so you'll need new fenders also and that would be $$$$$ a lot!
[snapback]154965[/snapback]
[/quote]

I heard that its the same shape, but just has more room for bigger tires. It has bigger wheel well inside the fenders.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525i Premium Package. Wish list: HR Sports Spring, AC rear/roof spoiler; Breyton's front airdam.

Damn..I hate those tire treads.... I don't think any bumper can take an impact like that....I am sure your insurance will cover the damage....it will be like new again...
Old 08-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

Sorry to see that. However, is there a need to replace your bumper? I think a regular workshop can do quite a good job in restoring the shape thru plastering and re painting.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

You can buy the "M-Aero kit" in Germany. I don't know if it's available in the US dealerships but it is widely available here. It has front and rear bumpers and side skirts like the M5. It is available for US Military sales for less than 1500 bucks.

Now, the "M-Sportpaket" is what the German consumers can buy and it's the same basic aero kit, but it includes the M steering wheel, the M door sills, the M5 oval mirrors and it's more expensive. We - Americans - can buy the Aero kit and buy the sills, mirrors, etc., piecemeal. It is not that expensive.

And they fit EVERY E60. I have seen 535D with them as well as the Touring (wagon) models with the kit. They have one at the dealership right now that's Carbon Black, with the Aero kit and black Anthracite leather interior. That's a fantastic-looking toy boys and girls, but as a diesel wagon, it's German-spec only. The kit's very sharp and it distinguishes your ride from all the lame E60 front ends.

I'm getting one when I order the 550i by October or so. They are all after-market, dealership-installed options.

Cheer!

SEFH

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Aug 1 2005, 05:17 AM

[quote name='ruffryder037roa' date='Jul 31 2005, 11:51 AM']Is it possible to put the M5 cosmetics on the regular E60s? Front and rear bumpers and sideskirts??
[snapback]154965[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 08-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Isn't it possible to get the M5 front bumper installed?

I think it is way better, cleaner looking than the sport package front bumper.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by PNice972' date='Aug 1 2005, 12:45 AM
[quote name='ruffryder037roa' date='Jul 31 2005, 01:51 PM']Attachment 9389

wow, thats sucks. you can put an m tech kit on it. do a search.
[snapback]154948[/snapback]
[/quote]

I live in the UK there is a guy selling identical m5 kits on ebay have a look they fit straight on, the only problem is the cut outs on the rear bumper are for twin exhausts either side all other e60's have only one cut out.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: ran over a tire tread.