E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ran into a little trouble during H&R sport spring install

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011 | 04:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

well i got a good deal on some H&R sport springs and decided to try install them today (atleast the front) and try finish the rest on my next day off friday. I searched online and decided this couldn't be too hard to take on myself. i was able to do the driver side pretty easy. besides a trip to the autoshop for some tools i needed in the middle of the job, it wasn't too hard at all. figured i could do the passenger side in less than an hour. then something happened, of all the bolts on the car were a breeze to get off i got one that gave me trouble, the upper control arm torx screw got stripped! tried my best to be very careful on that bolt but somehow i guess i was not careful enough (i got a better torx wrench now). i already ordered a new upper control arm, but in the meantime i guess ill finish the rear until it comes in. any suggestions on how to remove this since its stripped now?

also im going to try take and do a write up DIY for the spring install. its actually pretty easy, this ONE bolt just had to give me trouble. everything else went smoothly.

btw the iphone 4s takes some pretty nice photos lol
Old 10-19-2011 | 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Lifehacker had an article about this before. People seem to have luck with rubber bands. Give it a go and see if it fill the gaps.
Old 10-19-2011 | 06:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

i will give that a try friday. a friend told me a impact gun can get it off. i have a gun i was using but i didnt have enough space to use it since the bolt is facing down and i didnt have enough clearance to use the gun that low. im going to buy a bigger jack tomorrow and hopefully try both methods friday. otherwise ill have to break off the bolt somehow and replace the whole upper control arm....which will leave me without the car until i get the part and my next day off (Wednesday).

all in all, little bummed for this delay, but hey could be worse and i hope the end result of the drop will make it all worth it.