E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rain sensor sensitivity setting

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried searching for this topic but it did't return anything on it. My question is, how do you adjust the rain sensor sensivity? I know there is a dial on the wiper lever to adjust sensitivity but which (turning it up or down) way would make the rain sensor more sensitive? Intuitively, I orignally thought turning the dial up would make it more sensitive but hopefully someone would give me a definite answer. I even tried looking it up on the manual but it just tells me that the dial is for sensivity adjustment without telling me which way to turn to make it more sensitive.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

It seems to be a dial between very little changes. I think that turning it lower (to your knee) is LESS sensitive and more up MORE sensitive.

It's hard to tell the difference though, as you probably are playing with that dial when the rain is not very constant. So different variables change at the same time.

Isn't it in the manual? I seem to recall something about that stick.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi Monaco Blue Dark Burl Walnut Black Leather Comfort Package Sports Package Cold Weather Package Nav Logic 7 18" Sport Wheels Xenon Interior and License Plate Light Upgrade

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='491820' date='Nov 8 2007, 03:29 PM
It seems to be a dial between very little changes. I think that turning it lower (to your knee) is LESS sensitive and more up MORE sensitive.

It's hard to tell the difference though, as you probably are playing with that dial when the rain is not very constant. So different variables change at the same time.

Isn't it in the manual? I seem to recall something about that stick.

Up is "MORE" sensitive and down is "Less" as BMDiesel previously stated
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Members

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, I agree that I don't notice much difference if at all as I change the dial setting. But from hearing your replies, it seems like I did set the dial correctly (all the way up) since I prefer more sensive setting
Old 11-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

kinda worthless, same on E90's that dial does nothing significant. I cant understand why there isnt a TRUE manual override. I would rather have a manually set wiper system.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='491833' date='Nov 8 2007, 03:02 PM
kinda worthless, same on E90's that dial does nothing significant. I cant understand why there isnt a TRUE manual override. I would rather have a manually set wiper system.
Manual override? Of the wipers you mean or am I misunderstanding something? They can be operated manually, flip the lever up once for slow and up twice for fast. It would be nice to have a manually set intermittent option, maybe that's what you mean...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

i have always wondered this and i agree i cannot see that moving the dial make a noticable differance. I think it shoudl be more sensative as often i find myself putting the wipers on maually or turn the auto function offf and back on again to get them to wipe.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='491988' date='Nov 8 2007, 09:25 PM
i have always wondered this and i agree i cannot see that moving the dial make a noticable differance. I think it shoudl be more sensative as often i find myself putting the wipers on maually or turn the auto function offf and back on again to get them to wipe.
Agreed, the sensitivity dial is useless. I think I've moved it once in four years of owning my 545. Haven't even bothered trying it on my 550...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

I've found it does make a difference and I have found this on multiple cars.

It was raining quite a bit last week driving from Br?gge to D?sseldorf to Bremen (enough to increase the normal drive time by over 50%) and the rain was intermittent.

I adjusted the sensitivity several times and it changed the frequency appropriately.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='491998' date='Nov 9 2007, 01:03 PM
I've found it does make a difference and I have found this on multiple cars.

It was raining quite a bit last week driving from Br?gge to D?sseldorf to Bremen (enough to increase the normal drive time by over 50%) and the rain was intermittent.

I adjusted the sensitivity several times and it changed the frequency appropriately.
maybe the sensors only work with german rain drops.....

Quick Reply: Rain sensor sensitivity setting