E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rain sensor problem after windscreen replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass and now I have problem with rain sensor. My rain sensor is working but is not sensitive enough. Even on max sensitivity with heavy rain it isn?t as sensitive as before. Can anyone advice me if I can repair this myself or the car has to be taken do the dealer for recalibration rain sensor.
Peter
Old 03-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

i would call Autoglass back and see what they can do. when my windshield was replaced they didn't unplug the sensor, they just left everything hanging and i didn't have any problems after.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by piotar
I just had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass and now I have problem with rain sensor. My rain sensor is working but is not sensitive enough. Even on max sensitivity with heavy rain it isn?t as sensitive as before. Can anyone advice me if I can repair this myself or the car has to be taken do the dealer for recalibration rain sensor.
Peter
Got exactly the same problem after Autowindscreen changed my screen last week. I have to use normal wiper operation now as it's too slow in auto. Would love to know how to fix.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Check out this thread and pay particular attention to the .pdf file in my reply (which is post #7 in the thread):
https://5series.net/forums/topic/413...sensor-failure

There's also a possibility that the glass installer didn't align things properly so the sensor may be partially obscured. Take a look here for more info:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/791...new-windshield

Finally, in case you need to see how to remove or install a rain sensor, take a look at this thread:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/730...ce-rain-sensor
Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Members

I had just a bit of play with my lane departure and rain/lights sensor.
First I disconnected the car battery. Then I took down the mirror cover and removed the lane departure camera to clean the dirty marks left by Autoglass on the glass where the camera is sitting. I also checked all the connections and pushed the rain/lights sensor a bit more towards the glass. Today it wasn?t raining so I couldn?t properly test the sensitivity of the rain sensor but I sprayed the windscreen with water where the sensor is located and it all seemed to be working OK. I went for a drive to test the auto high beam and it is working absolutely perfectly, as is the lane departure. It seems that everything is working fine after resetting (disconnecting car battery), and I think the sensors must automatically adjust after disconnecting car battery.

Peter
Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

I never let third party glass companies replace my windscreens, following too many previous problems of my own and friends, that took many days to resolve.

I now pay the dealership to fit my glass because they always get it right first time (based on previous 4 screens). My dealer does fit the glass not just call in Autoglass etc to fit their BMW branded glass. You can negotiate on price to get them to march autoglass.

Most insurance companies will now let you have glass replaced by dealers, for a slight increase in contribution. In my experience that increased charge is less than the time needed to rectify a bodged third party job and saves money in the long-term. I don't really know anyone that has been totally satisfied with a third party screen replacement.

I mean what a total pain-in-the-rear to have to mess around with rain-sensors after the hastle of replacing glass ? unacceptable performance from Autoglass !
Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Members

Just little a update regarding my rain sensor.

Today in London it was raining so I had a chance to properly test the rain sensor. And I must say is all working perfect now. It looks like after the windscreen replacement they reused my old sensor but the sensor needed to be adapted/recalibrated. I disconnected the car battery and it looks like after reconnecting the sensor it has recalibrated itself because now is working perfectly. Also my lane departure and Auto high-beam are working perfectly.
The installer ? Autoglass used a BMW windscreen as I have HUD so they didn?t have much choice, and I also check the markings on the screen and it is a genuine BMW screen.

I would prefer to go via BMW service to get the windscreen replaced but this would mean that I would need to claim through my insurance and pay full insurance excess, when via Autoglass I had to pay only £70 excess and that is not classified as a claim.

Peter