E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rain sensing wipers stopped working after windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 08:56 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 09 BMW 528i - Comfort Access/Cold W. Package/Black w/gray dakota leather interior. Bought it from a used car dealer in Kaiserslautern, Germany
Question Rain sensing wipers stopped working after windshield replacement

I replaced my badly cracked windshield on my E60 due to a pretty good offer, coupon, and discount with safe lite. They replaced the windshield with a "Fuyao" brand windshield that looked identical to the OEM one (green stripe at the top, etc.). Everything looked good, but it has not rained in 44 days here in north Texas. We finally got some pretty good downpour yesterday and when I turned on the auto-wipers, they only wiped once, but did not continue wiping.

Is there a way I can reset the sensor before taking it back to safelite? Unfortunately I've read reviews that their customer service is pretty bad. I just wanted to know if this is something I can DIY at home, or take it back in.

Please note the wipers work as normal when not using the automatic wipers.

Thanks, MD.
The following users liked this post:
KavanaghUSAF (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Its either going to be the glass or the sensor got messed up. All that sensor does is detect rain by reflection.

Rain on the windshield will simply act like a mirror. That new windshield may have different light refracting properties. I am assuming you already adjusted the sensitivity wheel through its full range.

Last edited by donpb; 07-30-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:11 PM
New Members

My Ride: 09 BMW 528i - Comfort Access/Cold W. Package/Black w/gray dakota leather interior. Bought it from a used car dealer in Kaiserslautern, Germany

I have not adjusted the sensitivity wheel. Should it be completely up or all the way down?
Old 07-30-2022, 05:16 PM
New Members

I will try resetting the adaptations on my OBD-II scanner to see if that does the trick. It's one for E60's, but not as high-tech as the SnapOn one such as this video
Old 07-30-2022, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by militarydave
I have not adjusted the sensitivity wheel. Should it be completely up or all the way down?
I just fiddle adjusted mine until I got it to where I liked it. Try all the way up, then all the way down next time, or hose your windshield if you can't wait until then.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:40 PM
New Members

Looks like the sensor has to be reset on the DME. No dice when just fiddling with the wheel. The SnapOn reader as seen in the video link i put pretty much has to be done. Hoping there is a scan tool on Amazon I can buy to do tasks like this instead of paying the dealership or an indy.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:32 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I had a new window a couple years ago. It was genuine BMW window, done by an ex-BMW dealership glass tech, but I had no issues with the rain sensing wipers.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by twh
I had a new window a couple years ago. It was genuine BMW window, done by an ex-BMW dealership glass tech, but I had no issues with the rain sensing wipers.
His windshield most likely exhibits different refraction.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by militarydave
Looks like the sensor has to be reset on the DME. No dice when just fiddling with the wheel. The SnapOn reader as seen in the video link i put pretty much has to be done. Hoping there is a scan tool on Amazon I can buy to do tasks like this instead of paying the dealership or an indy.
Well, if fiddling did not work, you'll need to reinitialize the sensor. You can use INPA or an expensive scan tool. I doubt an indy BMW mechanic would charge much to do it.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I got mine replaced with the same brand windshield 12 years ago. Before they left the were supposed to pour water on it to make sure it worked. Just take it back. It's there responsibility to make sure it works like it did before they replaced it. If they can't get it to work they will put another windshield on and or pay for the dealership to fix the issue

Quick Reply: Rain sensing wipers stopped working after windshield replacement