E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Radio issue...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read that the radio has been a known issue with these cars for a while. I also saw that several service bulletins have been released to fix the issue. I just bought my 528i about three weeks ago and the radio sucks. Can't hold a station and constantly gets staticy. In the morning, if you hit the rear defrost button the whole thing cuts out. Took it in to the dealership shop this weekend and they are saying that it looks like at some point someone removed window tinting and pulled off some of the antenna that is in the rear window. I bought the car without tinting. It was sold to me with the original 50K warranty from the dealership. According to the shop, which is a couple of blocks down the road from the dealership, I need to contact the guy who sold me the car to figure this out.

Has anyone heard of this discrepancy? Apparently, the shark fin is just for the GPS...the radio antenna is built in to the rear window. I'm not convinced that a couple of missing sections would cause such poor reception. Why can't the shop talk to the dealership and figure this out? I was told that their practice is to remove any tinting on used vehicles...meaning THEY removed the tinting and should be responsible. I'm anticipating a huge pissing-contest with the dealership and just want to get my information straight.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

my cars radio sucked b4 and after tint just the same. i never use it actuallly cuz its so bad. ipod only or cds
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Contributors

I don't have tinted windows and FM radio reception is just "OK" if I'm within 30-40 miles of a powerful station ... AM has a circa 1950 sound and if I'm 20-30 miles from the station it's 75% static and 25% 'noise'. And mind you I'm located in an area without mountains or even hills. As a result I nearly 99% listen to Satellite radio or CDs. In my opinion, since they eliminated "antennas", conventional radio is useless unless you're surrounded by powerful broadcast stations (e.g. in metro location).
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I don't have tinted windows and FM radio reception is just "OK" if I'm within 30-40 miles of a powerful station ... AM has a circa 1950 sound and if I'm 20-30 miles from the station it's 75% static and 25% 'noise'. And mind you I'm located in an area without mountains or even hills. As a result I nearly 99% listen to Satellite radio or CDs. In my opinion, since they eliminated "antennas", conventional radio is useless unless you're surrounded by powerful broadcast stations (e.g. in metro location).
+1 radio reception is not THAT good. I had an M-ASK standard radio and now i have a CCC. My car was a pre-wired car and I have always had the antennae at the shark fin. I have tint and before and after the radio is the same. Before I put AUX input I just used a FM transmitter and it was static all the time but then i got another updated one and it was fine. But some stations are crisp and clear after I did a software update to the CCC-ANT module and they werent before.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Members

I'm just going with Pandora and not worrying about fixing the radio. Radio sucks anyway. Too many commercials and no control over the song selection.