E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Radio / CD issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody had the following happen with their audio system.....

Statrted the car up this morning and the radio and CD would not work. They had been working the night before. Turned the car off and back on and still the radio would not work. I tried both the i-drive functionality and "speaking" to access the radio or CD and still no dice. I noticed that there was a speaker with a line through it on the bottom line of the screen. I figured that it must of muted itself somehow and continued on to work in silence (would look at the manual later to see if there was mute button that I might have accidently hit.) At the end of the day, got back in the car,started it up, and magically, the radio was working perfectly again. I had not fiddled with any of the dials.

I guess I'm just curious if any others have had "anomalies" with the radio like this that just corrected itself?

Woodbeast
Old 08-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I've experienced the same thing and using the mute button the get the speakers on again didn't work. After half an hour trying the mute button again it started to work magically...
Old 08-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Contributors

Didn't see this post earlier and started a new about the exact same thing. It has happened to me twice now and the last time included the nav lady, the pdc and the normal key chimes.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Contributors

I had this happen once. I tried to turn on the radio and got the screen for FM with no stations showing up on the display. Tried AM and got the same thing + no sound for CDs. After a few tries I gave up and tried again after parking for about an hour. I started ther car and everything worked fine. I think the system just crashes occassionally and shuting down the car long enough for the sleep mode is like a reboot.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Members

Same here...mysterious muting.

Turned car off and on...still muted.

Turned car off, went shopping, came back, started car, all is well...

We need to accept the fact that we are driving a computer that crashes and needs to be rebooted on occasion. A little frustrating, but worth the hassle for all of the dazzling features (IMHO).
Old 08-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Fine for around town but NOT fine on a 3 hour trip when you don't have time for a hour reboot. If I have to live with it give me a button to reboot now. Kind of embarrassing too when you are showing your car to friends and the stereo doesn't work. WOW that's a really nice car dude....
Old 08-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Members

I just got my car last Thursday and experienced the muted audio today :'( . I stopped to get gas and when I got back in the car.... bam , it was working again.

Has anyone spoke with BMW about this? Is anyone aware of a way to reboot (other than down time)?
Old 08-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I had the same problem today driving with someone. He actually asked my why the car doesn't have a reboot button if it crashes. Now I read it on this forum again. I think this is a solution if the system doesn't work properly.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Members

I have had similar, if not exact, experiences with sounds and other functions. I had a long talk with the mechanic at the BMW dealership - not the service advisor - and when I described this mysterious "on now, not on later" effect he told me that because of the fiber optics in the car it is crucial that a specific sequence of electrical events occur. If they don't occur in the proper sequence, then the anomalies that you guys have described - and that I have experienced - will occur. He said that he had seen "communication" from BMW acknowledging these problems and their intent to solve them.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributors

I was wondering about this.... the order of things? I have been careful lately not to do anything until after the accept screen. Sometimes the BMW logo screen is up for a long time too, up to 45 seconds is not unusual. It's easy to hop in, start up, pull it into gear and take off before the system has a chance to boot up. Or turn the key on and eject the cd or put one in before it finishes booting. I have been careful lately not to do any of these things till its done booting. Not sure if that is the solution or not. Haven't had any weirdness lately

545i2b - Did this mechanic person have any details about the "proper sequence"

Quick Reply: Radio / CD issue