E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

radar detectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are there radar detectors that detect all types of radar? for example can you get one that detects even those radars which are only turned on for the amount of time the button is pressed?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

May as well call it a "ticket detector" because that's all it will do, when you hear the beep, kindly pull over and have your paperwork ready.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
are there radar detectors that detect all types of radar? for example can you get one that detects even those radars which are only turned on for the amount of time the button is pressed?
The 9500ci will detect radar (K, Ka, and X band) and it will detect laser too, which is only turned on for the amount of time the button is pressed. Here is my story that proved to me that laser detectors aren't a 'by-the-time-they-go-off-youre-in-trouble' type of device: I was travelling behind a car going faster than the speed limit on i90 a few months ago near Spokane. An officer was shooting laser from the middle of the highway at the cars in front of me. Some of the diffused light found it's way to the 9500ci laser detectors on the front of my car and the system started singing and saying 'shifting' on the readout. This allowed me to take 15-20 mph off my current speed to avoid getting pulled over. When it was my turn, the officer targetted my car with laser (again setting off the detector), but by this time I was going a mile or two under the speed limit. It is possible that the laser was being shot at my car specifically to begin with, but I doubt it. There were far too many cars in front of me that the cop would want to shoot. If the cop *was* shooting laser at me, then the laser jammers did a great job of stalling the gun so I could slow down. Either way, they work great.

In the 6 months that I've had the 9500ci, I've only been hit with laser twice in my state. Radar is much more common here.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder which type they use in ireland
Old 06-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

There is no difference between broadcast radar and "instant on" radar. Any good detector will pick the signal up as soon as it is transmitted. What matters are the detection distance and frequency ranges, most commonly referred to as X, K, and Ka bands - again any good detector will pick up all three bands from a good distance.

I don't know about other brands, but the V1 was modified to detect European radar frequencies several years ago. I suspect their frequency range is different than ours even though its still in the same band.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by pukka
There is no difference between broadcast radar and "instant on" radar. Any good detector will pick the signal up as soon as it is transmitted. What matters are the detection distance and frequency ranges, most commonly referred to as X, K, and Ka bands - again any good detector will pick up all three bands from a good distance.

I don't know about other brands, but the V1 was modified to detect European radar frequencies several years ago. I suspect their frequency range is different than ours even though its still in the same band.
As long as you have cars some distance in front of you for the instant on radar to be hitting then it can be picked up like any other. Just don't ignore the alerts when they go off then go away, come back, go away, etc. There is also something called POP - a type of instant on radar I think that the 9500ci says it detects but I don't remember enough to describe it here. Love my 9500ci and laser "shifters" .
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

i wonder which type they use in ireland
Coming to the UK (and very briefly Ireland) next month for a monster golf trip, so I guess my US radar detector is going to be useless over there? I also have to get the upgrade for my Garmin for the UK & Ireland roads soon.