E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

R1 Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black
Default R1 Rotors

I bought the R1 concept rotors about a month and a half ago, and i've been getting some crazy annoying squeaks .. it get really bad sometimes, I already tried using the stop squaks sprays, they work for a few hours if that, and then back to squaking. This is killing me, any idea on what to do here?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

go back to oem brakes

what pads are you using?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Members

Got them on my e39 with the Hawk HPS pads, same. They are noisy.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

It is not the rotors or pads that's noisy, it's all about the install. Dod you properly grease the dowel pins that the calipers move on before the reinstalling? Did you grease the backs of the pads? Do both with copper grease and you shouldn't have any noise, or greatly reduced noise. Even OEM's squeal like a stuck pig when they get dusty, not exactly a solution - I know I took my car to the dealer several times when I first got it (my previous 530) and they always said the same thing: "perfectly normal, they squeal when they get dusty"
Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by pjinca
It is not the rotors or pads that's noisy, it's all about the install. Dod you properly grease the dowel pins that the calipers move on before the reinstalling? Did you grease the backs of the pads? Do both with copper grease and you shouldn't have any noise, or greatly reduced noise. Even OEM's squeal like a stuck pig when they get dusty, not exactly a solution - I know I took my car to the dealer several times when I first got it (my previous 530) and they always said the same thing: "perfectly normal, they squeal when they get dusty"
i beg to differ to a degree. the pads themselves can promote or inhibit squeeking depending on their design.
do the pads have the noise isolator pads on the backside?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
i beg to differ to a degree. the pads themselves can promote or inhibit squeeking depending on their design.
do the pads have the noise isolator pads on the backside?
True, but proper install is at least as important as the pads and rotors chosen. The OEM pads have good initial bite but produce an unacceptable amount of dust, and the dust is what the dealer (and many others) say is a main cause of the squealing.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E70 X5M
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by rob2388
I bought the R1 concept rotors about a month and a half ago, and i've been getting some crazy annoying squeaks .. it get really bad sometimes, I already tried using the stop squaks sprays, they work for a few hours if that, and then back to squaking. This is killing me, any idea on what to do here?
What kind of pads do you have?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alexbaldy
What kind of pads do you have?
Thanks for the replies gentleman..

I have no clue what pads i have, they were brand new when i purchased the car, and that was about 5-6 months.. so they still new that's why i didnt change them.
The rotors were installed in a shop here in Mia, i took the car back to ask them about the squeak, and one of the guys there told me it was definitely the rotors, they looked 'glazed' ?? .. anyway..

I think is time to go back to OEM rotors? I've noticed when it comes to BMWs you have to stick with OEM ... what a shame, the R1 were relatively inexpensive and they look good.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rob2388
Thanks for the replies gentleman..

I have no clue what pads i have, they were brand new when i purchased the car, and that was about 5-6 months.. so they still new that's why i didnt change them.
The rotors were installed in a shop here in Mia, i took the car back to ask them about the squeak, and one of the guys there told me it was definitely the rotors, they looked 'glazed' ?? .. anyway..

I think is time to go back to OEM rotors? I've noticed when it comes to BMWs you have to stick with OEM ... what a shame, the R1 were relatively inexpensive and they look good.
If the rotors look "glazed" then they were not installed/bedded in properly. Since you used the pads that came with the car then, they probably didn't clean the rotors of their anti-rust coating before install OR they didn't properly bed the pads. You can bed in your pads again easily, simply do 10-12 runs of 10mph-60mph-10mph without coming to a complete stop, do this until you can smell the brakes and when you stop there is a little bit of smoke from the brakes and you should be fine from then on.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
If the rotors look "glazed" then they were not installed/bedded in properly. Since you used the pads that came with the car then, they probably didn't clean the rotors of their anti-rust coating before install OR they didn't properly bed the pads. You can bed in your pads again easily, simply do 10-12 runs of 10mph-60mph-10mph without coming to a complete stop, do this until you can smell the brakes and when you stop there is a little bit of smoke from the brakes and you should be fine from then on.
Pjinca I was there when they were installing them, and i can tell you they just took them out of the box straight to the car, they didn't clean a thing.. I'll try the 60-10mph runs and see if it gets better.. doubt it tho. this is sooo annoying, i went through a drive thru yesterday and ... well, it was horrible lol

There's a local guy selling OEM rotors for $300.. brand new in box... should I ?

Quick Reply: R1 Rotors