E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Quick question for the veteran 545 owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out
Default Quick question for the veteran 545 owners

I'm about to have my independent mechanic tackle the alternator bracket gasket leak. It's not leaking yet, but since my car is nearing 110k I figure it's time to do some preventative maintenance. For those who have paid to have it done both by an Indy or at a shop out of maintenance, my question is how much did you pay? Apparently it's a pretty big job and just want to get a ballpark figure. Thanks folks.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by devildawg712
I'm about to have my independent mechanic tackle the alternator bracket gasket leak. It's not leaking yet, but since my car is nearing 110k I figure it's time to do some preventative maintenance. For those who have paid to have it done both by an Indy or at a shop out of maintenance, my question is how much did you pay? Apparently it's a pretty big job and just want to get a ballpark figure. Thanks folks.
is this the same thing as a oil filter housing gasket?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

I don't think so but I'm not certain. The stupid $2 bracket on the rear-end is bolted underneath the LH motor mount! I'm almost certain the engine needs to be lifted in order to get to it. As always, small cheap part = tons of labor.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill109
is this the same thing as a oil filter housing gasket?
No, the alternator bracket gasket is a small profile gasket that like the part name suggests sits under the alternator bracket and is designed to seal a hole in the engine block that was used by 7 series models that came with engine oil coolers.

It is only on eight cylinder N62B44 and N62B48 engines.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a poorly designed gasket that commonly fails and is a nightmare to get to.

We were discussing this part in another post, and it probably holds the record for part cost to labor cost ratio, with the actual gasket available for as little as $2-$3 with labor cost running as high as $1200 to replace it.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by devildawg712
If you were going into the engine to replace other things (like the alternator or engine mounts, oil pan gasket or starter that require either raising the engine or going into the same areas of the engine, I might agree that as long as you are in there, go ahead and replace the alternator bracket gasket, even if it is not leaking. But I would never pay someone to replace just that gasket if it isn't leaking.

If you haven't already, replacing your cooling system components (water pump, thermostat, hoses, belts, idler and tensioner pulleys, coolant expansion tank and vent tube) IMHO this would be money much better spent. Overheating due to coolant system failure can seriously damage your engine very quickly, while the experience of leaking alternator bracket gaskets has been that in the early stages the oil leak is visible but not immediately dangerous.

Again, IMHO if you have already done the coolant system, keep the money in your pocket until either it or one of these other items (like starter, alternator, oil pan gasket) fails, and then do the alternator bracket gasket at the same time.

For replacement of the alternator bracket gasket I have heard labor prices as low as $800 and as high as $1300, with $1100-$1200 being common.

Last edited by BimmerFan52; 01-09-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

Hey thanks brother. Well, to tell you the truth I think it's starting to go. I've literally done almost every major job required to prolong the life of my 545 except the gasket spoken of. My independent mechanic is cool as shit and does all my work but even then I still have to question whether or not he is giving me a fair price. He's gunna tackle the job for me for 600 bucks. I just want this puppy to run flawlessly to 200k. Better to be safe now than sorry later. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
If you were going into the engine to replace other things (like the alternator or engine mounts, oil pan gasket or starter, I might agree that as long as you are in there, go ahead and replace the alternator bracket gasket, even if it is not leaking. But I would never pay someone to replace just that gasket if it isn't leaking.

If you haven't already, replacing your cooling system components (water pump, thermostat, hoses, belts, idler and tensioner pulleys, coolant expansion tank and vent tube) is money much better spent. Overheating due to coolant system failure can seriously damage your engine very quickly, while the experience of leaking alternator bracket gaskets has been that in the early stages the oil leak is visible but not immediately dangerous.

IMHO put the money in the bank until one of these other items fails, and then do the alternator bracket gasket at the same time, or if it eventually does leak.

I have heard labor prices as low as $800 and as high as $1300, with $1100-$1200 being common.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Depending on other services being done I have charged 6 to $800. its very time consuming and if the car is high miler hose ends are brittle. I would do the upper timing cover gasket at the same time especially if you are doing the same side valve cover.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Take the belly pan out and take a close look . I wouldnt touch it unless u see any signs of oil leaking . The oil gets everywhere so it won't be hard to detect .
Old 01-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
No, the alternator bracket gasket is a small profile gasket that like the part name suggests sits under the alternator bracket and is designed to seal a hole in the engine block that was used by 7 series models that came with engine oil coolers.

It is only on eight cylinder N62B44 and N62B48 engines.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a poorly designed gasket that commonly fails and is a nightmare to get to.

We were discussing this part in another post, and it probably holds the record for part cost to labor cost ratio, with the actual gasket available for as little as $2-$3 with labor cost running as high as $1200 to replace it.
ah, okay. that explains why im unfamiliar with it, only on 8 cyl. glad to hear my 6 doesnt have it. ive been chasing and oil leak for quite some time now.
good thing for all these knowledgable people on these forums lol
Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Bill109
ive been chasing and oil leak for quite some time now.

Check your oil filter housing gasket. If it's never been done, it's likely shot. CCV and hoses are likely done for too if they haven't been done, and can also lead to oil leaks. I highly recommend doing both of these at the same time.

Sorry to get off topic.

Quick Reply: Quick question for the veteran 545 owners