E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Questions about my 6 week old wrecked 535i...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A week ago, a young kid ran a red light (he was cited) and hit the front end of my 6 week old 535i. The damage was severe, but the initial assessment is that the damage may not be enough to total the car since the car is so new. This is my first accident, so this whole process is new to me. Has anyone been in an accident and was told not enough damage to total, but you fought back and they decided to total? If so, what arguments / facts / other did you use to convince the insurance company to total the car? I would obviously prefer a new car over one that needs significant repairs. Thanks in advance.
Jason
Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Question

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='514005' date='Jan 5 2008, 12:55 PM
A week ago, a young kid ran a red light (he was cited) and hit the front end of my 6 week old 535i. The damage was severe, but the initial assessment is that the damage may not be enough to total the car since the car is so new. This is my first accident, so this whole process is new to me. Has anyone been in an accident and was told not enough damage to total, but you fought back and they decided to total? If so, what arguments / facts / other did you use to convince the insurance company to total the car? I would obviously prefer a new car over one that needs significant repairs. Thanks in advance.
Jason
One heck of a way to join a forum ... sorry to hear about your unfortunate news . I hope there were no personal injuries - cars can be repaired or replaced

Your BMW dealer may be able to provide some local guidance about repair-ability of your car. Since it is so new you should enlist the assistance of your insurance company adjuster but remember, even though they will recover any $$'s from the other driver's insurance company they are out to protect their interests NOT yours. If you have financed your car, your bank may be able to provide some leverage, too. Depending on the level of coverage your policy provides, some insurance companies treat very new cars differently than older vehicles.

Don't rush to get a settlement - especially since the other driver was cited for a moving violation. Your insurance company should cover a rental car until yours is repaired or a settlement for a total loss is decided and paid. If your car is deemed "repairable" and you agree to a settlement to have the work done be sure that a depreciation allowance is included in any financial agreement. A high-line car that is repaired after heavy damage is worth considerably less (15- 30%) than an accident free car. And, most states require damage above some $$ threshold to be reported to DMV and it will show up in future CarFax and other database reports.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='514010' date='Jan 5 2008, 01:19 PM
One heck of a way to join a forum ... sorry to hear about your unfortunate news . I hope there were no personal injuries - cars can be repaired or replaced

Your BMW dealer may be able to provide some local guidance about repair-ability of your car. Since it is so new you should enlist the assistance of your insurance company adjuster but remember, even though they will recover any $$'s from the other driver's insurance company they are out to protect their interests NOT yours. If you have financed your car, your bank may be able to provide some leverage, too. Depending on the level of coverage your policy provides, some insurance companies treat very new cars differently than older vehicles.

Don't rush to get a settlement - especially since the other driver was cited for a moving violation. Your insurance company should cover a rental car until yours is repaired or a settlement for a total loss is decided and paid. If your car is deemed "repairable" and you agree to a settlement to have the work done be sure that a depreciation allowance is included in any financial agreement. A high-line car that is repaired after heavy damage is worth considerably less (15- 30%) than an accident free car. And, most states require damage above some $$ threshold to be reported to DMV and it will show up in future CarFax and other database reports.

Thanks your reply. There were no injuries and thankfully my wife and daughter were not with me. Sorry, I guess I should have stated that before I got into the car issues since people are certainly more important than cars.
My car is leased, so I do not have to be concerned about depreciation if my car is repaired. However, I must continue making monthly lease payments. If they total the car, obviously the lease ends and I can simply start over. Unfortunately, it took 6 weeks for my car to arrive since it is a 535 with manual transmission and dealers typically do not keep 5 series with manual transmission on the lot. So, either way, this will likely be quite a lenghty process. Care to see photos?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Often the initial assessment is not correct since there is hidden damage. The E60 front end is difficult to repair so choose a shop to quote the repair that has the experience repairing E60's and the correct equipment to make the repair. Glad no one was hurt.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='514005' date='Jan 5 2008, 11:55 AM
Jason
Hi Jason. Really sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you're OK, but totally understand how deflated you feel. I wish I could provide more help, as I was in a somewhat similar situation, when I had a 3-series for just under 11 months and sustained severe hail damage during a freak storm. The damage was about $8K--replaced hood, roof, decklid, paint, etc. I lobbied for a replacement car, not brand new, but the same age and mileage, but to no avail. I was told that the damage was only about 25-30% of the car's value, so they were going to fix it. Hopefully, you will fare better since yours is brand new, and they may treat new ones differently as someone else stated.

The reason I wanted to respond was to warn you to verify that you do indeed have rental car coverage. I thought I did on the above, but due to an oversight when I renewed my coverage after moving back to the US after a few years, it was not on my policy as it was previously. I assumed all was the same, but.... In any event, since the other driver is at fault, his insurance should cover a rental, although they probably will fight you on how much time you get it.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='514017' date='Jan 5 2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Jason. Really sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you're OK, but totally understand how deflated you feel. I wish I could provide more help, as I was in a somewhat similar situation, when I had a 3-series for just under 11 months and sustained severe hail damage during a freak storm. The damage was about $8K--replaced hood, roof, decklid, paint, etc. I lobbied for a replacement car, not brand new, but the same age and mileage, but to no avail. I was told that the damage was only about 25-30% of the car's value, so they were going to fix it. Hopefully, you will fare better since yours is brand new, and they may treat new ones differently as someone else stated.

The reason I wanted to respond was to warn you to verify that you do indeed have rental car coverage. I thought I did on the above, but due to an oversight when I renewed my coverage after moving back to the US after a few years, it was not on my policy as it was previously. I assumed all was the same, but.... In any event, since the other driver is at fault, his insurance should cover a rental, although they probably will fight you on how much time you get it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have rental insurance which is why I am now driving a snazzy little Chevy Cobalt. My insurance covers rental for 30 days, but, as you stated, his insurance should be picking up the tab. My concern is that repairs (if it will be repaired) will almost certainly take longer than 30 days, so who pays for the time past 30 days? My insurance? His insurance? Out of my pocket?
Also, can I get the other driver or his insurance company to make my lease payments (if my car is to be repaired)?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Here are some photos of my car .....
My car has yet to be fully evaluated. Since these cars have alot of aluminum, they have to be put up on a special lift (as stated by the BMW shop manager).
He said that he will "try" to get it up on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails Questions about my 6 week old wrecked 535i...-bmw3.jpg   Questions about my 6 week old wrecked 535i...-bmw2.jpg   Questions about my 6 week old wrecked 535i...-bmw.jpg  
Old 01-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

OH MY GOD!!! Thats alot of damage...There is no way they can fix that car. If the do not replace it with a brand new one, get an attorney involved!!! I am in SHOCK!!! That needs to goto BMW heaven...
Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 bmw 530 black on black blacked out headlights and tail lights

am sorry to hear about the accident!

samething has happened to me the next day after buying my 530i,

that should be a total loss, best thing to do is get a lawyer on your side,
Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya thats waaay too broke... I wouldnt want it even after its fixed..

Quick Reply: Questions about my 6 week old wrecked 535i...