E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question on windscreen replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:29 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206
Default Question on windscreen replacement

I had a chip on my windscreen and it started to tear off. Went to the stealership today and was quoted the cost, which include (I) rain sensor (ii) rubber seal and (iii) update program which collectively cost as much as the windscreen itself. Also they disclaim their responsibility in case of programming failure and destroy the ECU. Is it normal practice elsewhere and is it true that we have to replace the rain sensor along with the windscreen?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

I know for sure that you've got to change the fog sensor, which you might not have if you dont have an auto button on your AC control panel. I have no idea what year your car is but on LCI cars the rain sensor has a plastic piece that covers the rain sensor and thats whats stuck on your windscreen. You can replace it separately for like 35$ i last checked. Its not that bad. There is no reason at all for a update of your software. unless the rain sensor has been updated, then in that case you just buy that 35$ piece and you dont change the rain sensor. If you have a pre-lci car. Then really i have no idea.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:15 AM
New Members

Thanks. Mine is Pre LCI and that I have auto climate control. SO I have to replace both rain sensor and fog sensor together with the programming.

Mind me asking, what that fog sensor is about?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:20 AM
New Members

apologizes technically its called a condensation sensor. It'll measure condensation on your windscreen and that will instruct your AUTO mode to direct air to the windscreen. Some people have no issue if its bad, some people will end up having an under performing A/C. I tried looking at some part diagrams for you because we both have Pre-LCI. I couldn't find a similar plastic piece like LCI cars on top of the rain sensor. I wonder if they are going to replace your windscreen they might install a LCI windscreen then need a software update to install the new sensor. Then the software update would make sense, and thats why i cant find a cover for our Pre-LCI cars.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:37 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

I know this doesn't necessarily help you guys, but I have an LCI and had it replaced under insurance. There was only the question if I had a lane departure or not. Now the module that is attached to the rear view mirror has all the sensors in it, and it just attaches to the glass. They did NOT need to replace or reprogram a thing... other than the glass...
Old 06-21-2016, 02:32 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

You don't have to replace the sensor they can be re used, I had it done two yrs ago , don't go to dealers go to a autoglass place instead.
No programming required either.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:34 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Originally Posted by richie281vn
I had a chip on my windscreen and it started to tear off. Went to the stealership today and was quoted the cost, which include (I) rain sensor (ii) rubber seal and (iii) update program which collectively cost as much as the windscreen itself. Also they disclaim their responsibility in case of programming failure and destroy the ECU. Is it normal practice elsewhere and is it true that we have to replace the rain sensor along with the windscreen?

I was a panel beater for 25 years. changing windscreens was a daily chore with insurance companies and for private customers.

Insurance companies and dealerships will always tell you that you must change the sensors etc when a screen is replaced.
This is simply because they dont want any trouble.
The sensors are stuck onto the screen and if they are simply restuck to the screen they may not stick properly meaning complaints and extra costs to repair.

When we did a job privately for someone,, 99% of the time we just restuck them with good tape or glue.

If you want no hassles just do as they suggest

If you want to save a few bucks, go to a windscreen shop who will gladly just restick them. (but no promises)
Old 06-22-2016, 12:35 AM
New Members

Fog sensors short when they are removed and burn out, on every car i've ever worked on whenever i see a fog sensor code i notice the windscreen has been replaced and vice versa. Rain and light sensors not so much, I'm sure taking your time you can stick it back on without affecting the sensor's view.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:53 AM
New Members

thanks all insurance covers windscreen only but not the sensors and programing . so i have to pay for these myself thoug
Old 06-25-2016, 04:22 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520xi

I just had my windshield replaced and it cost me $250 and it had a new sensor. No programming required. I paid out of pocket, no insurance. 2007 530xi

Quick Reply: Question on windscreen replacement