E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question: when drive in manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2008

what gear does it suppose to be in when drive in manual mode then come to a stop M1 or M2? because my show M2 when come to a complete stop. just never pay attention to it before. I don't know if this is normal.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Senior Members

If youre talking about steptronic then m2 is normal. You can manually shift it down to m1 and then shift back upwards as you normally would. Shifting to m1 sounds awesome when coming to a stop
Old 05-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

yup...when applying the brake, the car shifts down to M2 only...you can pull up in M2 with no problem (even better than in M1, which is a gear just to get the car rolling I guess?)

I think I pretty stupid that the car will let you upshift when you want, but will downshift itself when it wants...It happens quiet a lot that just when I am aboiut to change myself, the car does it as well and I end up in the wrong gear...but this as an OT remark
Old 05-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2008

Thanks for all the replied. because all my previous cars they down shift to M1 and is good to know its normal. but notice the 2nd and 3rd gear shift kinda sluggish when the car is cool
Old 05-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Arrow
Thanks for all the replied. because all my previous cars they down shift to M1 and is good to know its normal. but notice the 2nd and 3rd gear shift kinda sluggish when the car is cool
I always let the car warm up before driving in manual or sport mode. Then again it could be the OCD kicking in...
Old 05-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

2008 and newer Sport automatics with the sport button start in M1 when the sport button is pressed. Otherwise it is M2.
I drive mostly in manual mode. I find the throttle response and transmission behavior to be better that way. But I only press the sport button when able to have fun and stretch the car's legs.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 07' 550i Options: Titanium Gray, STEPTRONIC 6-Speed, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Active Stering, Power Rear Sun Shade, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Alcantara Headliner, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, Navigation, Heads-up Display, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 Sound w/ CD Changer, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Folding Rear Seats with Ski Bag, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth Options: MTech Bumpers, Sprint Booster V2, RPi Scoop, Clear Bra, K&N Drop-in Filter, Predator ICE V3 Angel Eyes

My car always starts off in M3 when it's in manual mode. Is this bad for the car? Do you think I need to take it in and have it reset so that it starts in M2?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Robb924
My car always starts off in M3 when it's in manual mode. Is this bad for the car? Do you think I need to take it in and have it reset so that it starts in M2?

It should NOT start off in M3. Steptronic manual shifting is as same as manual shifting. You should get that checked. When coming to a stop, it should automatically gear down to M2.

I get a faster response throttle in M1 so I manually shift it down to M1 then shift up as I engage the gas pedal. M1 will take your e60 from 0 to 20-30 faster than M2.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by bmwgroup
It should NOT start off in M3. Steptronic manual shifting is as same as manual shifting. You should get that checked. When coming to a stop, it should automatically gear down to M2.

I get a faster response throttle in M1 so I manually shift it down to M1 then shift up as I engage the gas pedal. M1 will take your e60 from 0 to 20-30 faster than M2.
The way the car shifts is different between the I6 and V8 models, when in D, the automatic transmission in both the V8 and I6 models will downshift to 2nd gear when coming to a stop, and as long as you do not stomp the gas, will take off in 2nd.

In mode D/S, it will down shift to 1st when coming to a stop, and start from 1st.

In mode M, the car will only down shift to the point where it won't stall when coming to a stop. If you have a V8, the car has enough torque to still take off in 3rd gear, so the transmission will not go lower than 3rd when coming to a stop, unless you manually go lower. The I6 however, does not
have enough torque to take off in 3rd, so it will go down to 2nd.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

I torque my ass of on M1

Time to make a video demonstration of me torquing from M1??

Quick Reply: Question: when drive in manual mode